We’re just 4 months away! 120 days until Dan swims 2.4 miles, bikes 112 miles, and runs a freakin’ marathon. And by “we”, I mean him doing all of the crazy work and me being his cheering squad. I’ll most likely be at the transition points / finish line drinking a beer and soaking up the gorgeous Whistler, BC summer sun. That’s just the kind of supportive wife I am.
Needless to say, it’s a pretty intense race and Dan has about 10 years on our little brother he’s doing it with. So we’re doing our best to get his body ready. He puts in the time at the gym, I make sure he’s fueling his body right for the workouts. His diet: lots of lean protein like chicken and fish, and lots and lots of leafy greens, like kale and spinach.
Then it’s just some oil in a large saute pan with garlic and some red pepper flakes, and a 7-10 min saute of the leafy goodness with a healthy pinch of salt, and we have the perfect garlicky, iron and vitamin K rich side dish for any meal. Super fast, super easy, and super nutritious for my future IronMan!
- • 2 bunches of kale, ripped, washed, and dried
- • 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- • 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- • 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in large saute pan on medium. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant. Turn heat up to medium high and add kale, mixing it with tongs to coat it with olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Saute until kale wilts and turns a deep green, approximately 7 minutes. Season with salt, give another good mix, and serve.