I am so in love with this. I cannot believe A. how easy it is and B. how delicious and healthy it is. So my old middle school BFF, Stephanie @ The Cozy Cook who I reconnected with over some Poutine, posted this Soft Serve Banana this weekend and the minute I saw it, I had to try it. Have you checked out her blog yet? You should, because it is amazing. Not only is she and her little pup Toby so stinkin’ cute, but her food and photography is killer!
Anyway seriously, once I saw this I cut up some bananas and threw them in the freezer. Because well, we always have bananas in this house. Then I decided to make a really simple and delicious strawberry sauce to top it with. Because what’s more delicious than bananas and strawberries? Not much. Not much at all.
Plus, look at these beautiful strawberries.
I just tossed them into a small pot and let them simmer away on medium-low with a little bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice and just a touch of honey. I don’t think adding more sugar to fruit anything is necessary at all. I let these cook down until nice and soft then I mashed them up until it was as sauce-like as I wanted.
Then I just added the frozen sliced bananas to a food processor and blended them while slowly adding just a little bit of milk as it blended to give it a little added creaminess. And whoa. It’s like ice cream without an ice cream maker!
…Ok, I added a lot.
I was soooo impressed by how much this satisfied an ice cream craving. We’ll now be keeping this in our fridge for when either of us need a little fix- this is an incredibly healthier and equally delicious alternative! Thanks, Stephanie!!
- 3 bananas sliced and frozen
- 1/4 cup of milk (skim, 1%, or 2%- whatever you have)
- 1/2 lb of strawberries
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
- Slice strawberries and add to a sauce pan. Add lemon juice and honey and cook on medium-low until strawberries are cooked and soft. Mash into a sauce and continue cooking until it is the consistency you want.
- In a food processor add frozen banana slices and blend. While blending, slowly add milk until creamy.
- Dish and serve with hot strawberry sauce on top!