Whoa. These pancakes are SO good. My middle school BF and now blogging buddy, Stephanie @ TheCozyCook, posted these beauties awhile ago and they look sooo good. But, to be honest, I’m not a huge pancake fan. Except when we’ve been out drinking all night. My husband’s warning that I’m a whee bit tipsy is when I suggest we go get pancakes. There’s usually a little wobbling and high pitched inflection involved too… Then, they’re my favorite thing in the world. But for the most part I don’t really seek them out or ever think to make them. Except for this morning. I’m starting to feel like a broken record, but surprise surprise, Dan’s putting in another 80+ hour work week and he had a call he had to be on at 9 am this morning. 9 am on a gorgeous Saturday! He wasn’t too thrilled about it. This man needed some pancakes.
Stephanie’s pancakes are made with white flour, but just happened to be all out of white flour (I know, how embarrassing), but we did have whole wheat flour, so phew. And as far as bananas, well, we always have an abundance of bananas in our house. Dan and I each eat one every single day with breakfast so we go through a lot of bananas; it’s one of the things that will always be in our house. Unlike white flour, apparently.
So I mashed up the bananas with a little milk, eggs and oil, and then mixed in the dry ingredients I’d already mixed together on their own, to make the batter. It was a little lumpy, but according to Stephanie, that was ok. 🙂
On to a hot and oiled griddle and I had a super hearty and delicious breakfast for my super hard working husband!
Topped with some real maple syrup, of course!
Dan gobbled these up quick! I had a couple of the “first pancakes” (you know the ones I’m talking about, the ugly ones that no matter what you do, you’ll always have), and whoa. They were sooooo good. And I was totally sober so that’s saying something! I said to Dan, “Aren’t these delicious?!” His response, “That is a massive understatement.”
Thanks, Stephanie! 🙂
Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
From The Cozy Cook
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 ripe bananas- 2 for mashing, one for slicing
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate (large) bowl, mash 2 bananas then mix in egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be a little lumpy.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, I used about one cup for each pancake. Cook each side for a few minutes, until sturdy enough to flip. Cook each side until golden brown.
- Slice remaining banana, dropping a few piece on each pancake.
- Serve pancakes hot, with syrup.