Peanut butter has been on our list to make from scratch for awhile. But I kept forgetting to buy raw peanuts every time I went to the store. And then my studly husband during the middle of the day one day, sent me an email that just said “We should do this!” And it had this video.
And this is why I married him.So I did just what Alton said. 1 lb of peanuts fried in peanut oil,Then cooled.Then into a food processor with honey and kosher salt. A good honey. Did you know you can buy it in bulk at New Seasons? It’s like $9 a lb but it’s local and delicious and you fill your own container.And then a blendUntil nice and creamy. Mmmm.As usual, Alton Brown knows no wrong. This peanut butter is sooo good!
Alton Brown's Peanut Butter
- 1 lb of raw skinned peanuts
- 1 tablespoon of peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- Heat peanut oil in wok or large frying pan on medium to high heat. When the oil starts to simmer add the peanuts and cook for one minute stirring constantly. Then turn the heat down to medium and then fry to another 7-10 minutes until they are a deep golden brown.
- On a pan lined with paper towels, cool the peanuts completely, at least 20 minutes.
- Once they are cooled put the peanuts in a food processor, add honey and salt, and blend until creamy, 5 minutes, remembering to scrape down the sides.
- Store in an airtight container.