BOO-Ringues! Homemade meringue cookies, but little ghosts! They're light, airy, slightly sweet puffed Halloween treats that are fun and easy for kids to make!
Happy Halloween, friends! And here's a treat I've been wanting to make for the past 3 Halloweens but just haven't 'gotten around to because, well, life. But in honor of little M's 1st Halloween that isn't surrounded by moving boxes, I decided that this year was the year. The year to start the BOO-Ringue tradition!
What is a BOO-Ringue?
It's a MERringue but scary! Of course by scary, I mean adorable. These little ghosts are a delicious light, airy, sweet meringue cookie but shaped into little ghosts! And because they're a simple meringue cookie, that means that they are super simple and easy to make.
- Egg Whites - The base of any meringue. Important though, be sure to let your egg whites come to room temp first. This will help the egg white foam up to 8x its size - and basically, it'll take longer.
- Sugar - White granulated sugar is best to add the right amount of sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract - Just a touch for some added flavor.
So simple, yet the perfect light, sweet little ghosts!
Tip: Don't those away those egg yolks! Make yourself some Mayonnaise From Scratch!
Easy to Make
Step 1: Whip egg whites. Good. This is where you really need a solid hand mixer. While you can do it by hand, trust me, you don't want to.
Once your egg white start to form stiff peaks, then you're ready to add the sugar and continue to beat.
Step 2: Add a splash of vanilla and then whip a little bit longer.
Tip: The stiffer the peaks, the easier you'll be able to mold your little ghosts.
Step 3: Using a piping bag (or a plastic bag with a small piece of the corner cut off), pipe out adorable little mounds of meringue cookies.
Step 4: Bake at a low temp and then little add little faces with black icing.
Add whatever little face you'd like for your little BOO-Ringues!
Other Fall and Halloween Favorites
- Cashew "Pumpkin" Bliss Balls
- Copycat Butterfinger Candy Bites
- Homemade Mini Almond Joys
- Maple Apple Nut Bread
- Easy Homemade Apple Fritters
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Black icing / frosting
- Separate egg whites from yolks and add to a medium sized bowl. Let them sit out on counter to come up to room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 250° and cover un-greased cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixerr on medium to high until stiff, moist peaks form. Slowly beat in sugar just a 1/4 cup at a time then fold in vanilla. Continue to beat mixture a few more minutes, ensure that it reamins glossy and does not become grainy.
- Fill a pasty bag with mixture and add a medium sized round tip (or just cut the edge off of the tip of a large freezer bag). Pipe medium to large circular, ghost shaped, mounds onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Dip a toothpick into some black icing / frosting and add eyes, mouth, and any other 'scary' features to your ghosts!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!