This Chickpea Kale Curry Soup is an easy to make meatless dinner that’s full of flavor, packed with nutrition & family friendly!
Ok ok I know it’s almost Summer, but here in the Pacific NW there are still some pretty cool rainy days happening right now that are perfect for soup! And we are loving this Chickpea Kale Curry Soup!
I knew this soup was a winner when my almost 2 year old inhaled two bowls of it.
- Diced tomatoes
- Vegetable stock – make your own!
- Sweet potatoes
- Fresh Kale
- Curry powder
Pretty basic ingredients, and a great way to use a few things in your pantry. No fresh kale? No problem, spinach would be great too! No vegetable stock? No problem, if it doesn’t need to be vegetarian, Chicken Stock is delicious, too!
How to Make:
The best part of this soup? It’s SO EASY.
- Saute the onion and garlic
- Add the spices and toast them
- Add potatoes and tomatoes and broth, bring to boil and them let simmer.
- Add the kale
What to Serve With:
Garlic Naan (our favorite!)
We chose Garlic Naan because, um garlic and butter slathered naan? Is there anything better?
This soup is so incredibly flavorful. And the sweetness of the sweet potato, the the freshness of the kale, and the curry, paprika, and turmeric? Delish.
Again, our favorite with this soup is our Galic Naan From Scratch. It sops up all of the deliciousness. Our girls adored this soup. How can you argue with a meal that an almost 2 and almost 4 year old gobble up and it has all of the nutrition of sweet potatoes, kale, and chickpeas!
So if it’s still soup weather where you are (although really, I can eat soup, especially Chicken or Beef Pho any time of the year), and you have some chickpeas in your pantry you’re not sure how to use, this soup would be perfect!
Chickpea Kale Curry Soup
- dutch oven or large stock pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes fire roasted if you happen to have them are a delicious touch!
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb fresh kale, chopped
- Heat oil in large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until onions are soft and transparent.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes and drain the chickpeas.
- Add the curry, paprika, turmeric, and red pepper to the pot and stir to toast 1- 2 minutes.
- Once the spices are toasted, add the potatoes and the tomatoes (with all of the juices) and chickpeas to the pot. Add the vegetable broth and stir to combine everything.
- Place lid on pot and turn the heat up to medium – high until it all comes to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn the heat to low and then let soup simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chopped kale and stir it in soup until it's wilted. Taste soup and then add salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot with bread or naan!