This Chickpea Kale Curry Soup is a healthy, nutrition-packed easy-to-make vegan, and gluten-free dinner that's full of flavor & family-friendly!
Ok ok I know it's almost Summer, but here in the Pacific NW, there are still some pretty cool rainy days happening right now that are perfect for soup! And we are loving this Chickpea Kale Curry Soup! Not only is it packed full of nutrition, but it also has enough delicious flavor that my almost 2-year-old inhaled two bowls of it.
- Chickpeas - Also known as the garbanzo beans, these delightful little balls of nutrition are packed full of fiber, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, etc. etc. etc....
- Sweet Potatoes - Also nutrition-packed, with the right amount of sweetness.
- Fresh Kale - Not only perfect for the color, but even more nutrition from vitamins A, C, and calcium.
- Diced tomatoes - Roma tomatoes are our go-to due to their low moisture and fewer seeds, but you could use any of your favorites.
- Onion, Garlic, and Ginger - Your aromatics to help develop deep flavor.
- Vegetable stock - Have you made your own yet?
- Spices - Curry powder, turmeric, and chili powder for just a little heat.
No fresh kale? No problem, spinach would be great too! No vegetable stock? No problem, if it doesn't need to be vegetarian, Chicken Stock is delicious, too!
Easy to Make
Step 1: Cook the aromatics (onion, garlic, and ginger) before adding the spices and giving them a toast, as well.
Step 2: Add the tomatoes and chickpeas before adding the stock, and sweet potatoes before letting it simmer.
Step 3: Finally, add the kale to simmer for another few minutes, and then you're ready to serve!
Easy. Peasy. So-stinkin'-delicious-esy.
What to Serve With:
Garlic Naan (our favorite!)
Easy Dinner Rolls From Scratch
We chose Garlic Naan because, um garlic and butter slathered naan? Is there anything better?
This soup is so incredibly flavorful. And the sweetness of the sweet potato, the freshness of the kale, and the spices? Delish.
Our favorite with this soup is our Galic Naan From Scratch. It sops up all of the deliciousness. Our girls adored this soup. How can you argue with a meal that an almost 2 and almost 4-year-old gobble up and it has all of the nutrition of sweet potatoes, kale, and chickpeas!
Other Healthy Soups
- Creamy Asparagus Bacon Soup
- Roasted Parsnip and Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Healthy Leek and Potato Soup
- Rhode Island Clam Chowder
- Turkey and Spinach Noodle Soup
- White Bean and Leftover Turkey Chili
If you don't want to keep this soup vegan, then some fresh Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top is a perfect way to finish it!
No matter what you serve it with, please let me know if you make it and how much you love it! I love to hear from you on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Chickpea Kale Curry Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes fire roasted if you happen to have them are a delicious touch!
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch fresh kale, chopped
- parmesan cheese optional to top with
- Heat oil in large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and saute until onions are soft and transparent, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut them into 1-inch cubes and drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the curry, turmeric, chili powder, and salt to the onions and stir to toast 1- 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pot and stir to combine. Add the chickepeas, potatoes, and stock.
- Place lid on pot and turn the heat up to medium - high until it all comes to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn the heat to low and then let soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and stir it in soup. Cover pot and let simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This would be perfect for my dinner tonight! Love all the spices you added, and chickpeas are one of my favs. Can't wait to try it!
This was such a great recipe! Some curries and soups can be so thick and stodgy, but this was perfectly light and tasted absolutely amazing. Will definitely be making this again!
Great to hear, Bry! Thanks for letting me know!
Love the soup combo. Sounds amazingly delicious and so flavorful.
Wow! I feel healthy just looking at this delicious soup. Kale is so good as a healthy super food! Cheers
What a hearty and delicious soup. No meat needed in this protein-packed meal. It is still cold here...so this would be a warm welcome for dinner tonight. Leftovers are great too.
This was a fabulous recipe! Was easy to make and it had the best flavor. I will definitely be making again!
Thanks, Kim! 🙂
I'm addicted to kale but never had it in soups, looks so good!
Nart at Cooking with Nart
This soup looks so flavorful. I hope it warms you up! I love in a VERY hot country but still am going to try this!
If you can eat a hot soup when it's hot out, then you know it's a delicious soup!
Oh thanks for this, I’m going to make the garlic naan too!
You wont regret it!
What a healthy and hearty soup. Perfect for this cooler weather we have been having.