I love my crock pot. But if you asked it, it may not agree. We have a super small kitchen which means storage is at a premium, especially counter space. Therefore, the poor thing has been stored in our hutch and it’s out of sight and often out of mind. Oh, but not anymore. With the busy days we’ve been having in this house and late meetings for both of us, I’ve pulled her out, dusted her off, and profusely apologized for how long it’s been.
For its first use in way too long, I’d found a chuck roast buried deep in our freezer that clearly needed to be cooked. Plus, we knew we both crazy days ahead of us and that neither of us would be home until late. So I got up just a tad earlier in the am so that after an exhaustingly long day, we could come home to dinner already done. I generously salted and peppered the roast,
Then chopped up some celery, carrots, and potatoes.
Meanwhile, in a super hot pan, I seared the roast for about 4 minutes on each side.
Into the crock pot with the potato and veggies, and topped with someone of our homemade Onion Soup Mix and water and set this bad boy to low for 10 hours.
Dinner! Just in time before I became “It’s-the-end-of-a-long-day HAngry.” And trust me, when I say HAngry, I mean it. Just ask my husband.
The meat was super tender and wonderfully oniony flavorful but it was a tiny bit dry. Adjusting the time down to 8 hours would have made it perfect. Or also coming home at the 10 hr mark instead of actually 12 hours later probably would have too… Oops. Like I said, busy and HAngry…
But, there was plenty of jus to pour on top to moisten it up and it made for the perfect low fuss busy weeknight meal. Ahh thank you, crock pot! You saved my husband again from a cranky ‘feed-me!’ wife. 😉
- 4 lb Chuck Roast
- 1/4 cup dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 2 cups of chopped carrots
- 1 medium white onion quartered*
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large saute pan to high.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and then sear in pan. 4 minutes on each side.
- Add roast to crock pot and surround with potatoes and veggies.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix on top of roast and veggies and add water.
- Turn crock pot to low for 8-10 hours.
- When done, remove from crock pot onto platter with roast and veggies and ladle with jus.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- *We added extra onion because we LOVE onion, but it's not necessary because the onion flavor in the soup is pretty strong