Make your favorite sweet and salty peanut snack at home with this recipe for your own Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts!
Back in the day, I used to be a manager at a hotel in Vail, CO. I had a front desk agent, Hassan, who I will never forget. He used to call out to me from behind the desk back to my office, "Tray-CEE!" It used to drive me crazy, but he was so sweet and so endearing so even if I was super annoyed, when I'd see him, I'd be over it. Plus, he always had honey roasted peanuts stashed behind the desk for snacking. When I found out that he passed away, I knew the snack from scratch I had to make: Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts, in honor of Hassan!
If you have peanuts, then you most likely have everything else you need!
- Unsalted Peanuts - If you use salted, then cut out the salt entirely and be sure to use unsalted butter.
- Honey - Raw is always best!
- Butter - Unsalted is preferred, but if you only have salted, no problem, just add a 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Chili powder - I usually like to add a little more for more flavor, but for a more traditional honey roasted peanuts flavor, just a 1/2 teaspoon.
- Sugar - To add the signature sweetness!
- Garlic powder - Optional, we're garlic fans over here, so we love just a pinch but you can totally leave it out.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then melt butter, honey, and salt in a saucepan.
Step 2: Add peanuts and stir to combine.
Step 3: Roast the butter, honey-coated peanuts.
Step 4: Meanwhile, mix sugar, chili powder, and garlic powder.
Step 5: Once the peanuts are well roasted, add the sugar mixture, and done!
The first time I made these peanuts, I let the peanuts roast a little bit longer and didn't stir them every 5 minutes so they were a little darker, which I kind of liked.
But I've made them many times since, and when I actually stir them while they are roasting, they don't get too dark.
Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts, basically candied peanuts and I mean, can you go wrong with candied anything? Hello, our Guinness Candied Bacon!
Our Other Favorite Snacks
Crispy Tater Tots From Scratch
I just love these sweet n salty honey roasted peanuts. They are SO addicting. AND so much cheaper than buying them at the store. Hassan, my frugal and peanut-loving friend would have totally approved.
Enjoy! As always, if you make this recipe or any of my others, I love to hear what you think! Leave a comment below, email me, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
If you want to see more, be sure to sign up for my 5 Easy Ways to Start Cooking From Scratch!
Honey Roasted Peanuts
- 2 cups raw unsalted peanuts
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, stir together the butter, honey, and salt. Heat until butter is melted and bubbly. Add the peanuts and stir until they are well coated.
- In a 9 X 13 baking dish, add peanuts in an even layer. Place in oven checking every 5 and stirring to prevent burning. Remove peanuts whenever they've evenly browned, about 20 minutes.
- While peanuts are roasting, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, and sugar.
- When peanuts are done, remove from oven and transfer to a metal mixing bowl. Slowly add the sugar mixture, a little bit at a time, mixing well each time. Continue to add sugar until well coated to your liking (all the mixture may not be necessary).
- Continue mixing as peanuts cool to prevent sticking.
- Serve and enjoy!
I made these with dry roasted peanuts. I also added cinnamon and a little cayenne pepper! AMAZING. Gonna try this in pecans next!
Delicious! I made them today just as the recipe specified!
So great to hear, Sue! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review!
I made this with the dry roasted peanuts from Costco and they tasted even better than the store bought ones <3 Will definitely be making these again!
So great to hear, Syd!! So glad you enjoyed them and thanks for taking the time to leave a review!
Wow, these are awesome! I made them with my favorite Costco salted peanuts and omitted the added salt. They only took about 10 minutes to roast since they are already roasted, amazing taste!
Awesome!! So great to hear, Bob. Thanks so much for sharing!
Made these the other day and wow they are lovely I will be making these on a regular basis this is the first time I had a go at this and it was so easy.
So wonderful to hear, Teresa! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review!
I tried this recipe and enjoyed, but I modified the recipe some by adding the garlic and chili powder to the butter and honey before adding the peanuts. By mixing in the spices I got a more intense flavor overall. Next I will try with some almonds.
Have made these with sunflower seeds a few times and it's delicious, so if anyone is allergic to peanuts or hasn't got them on hand,
sunflower seeds are a good alternative 🙂
Thank you so much for sharing, Ally! That's a great tip!
I added a 1/2 tsp of sriracha to give it more kick. Awesome!
I love this recipe. I have kidney disease and store bought honey roasted... Forget about it. I used pink Himalayan sea salt and cut it in half. A little less sugar for balance and the rest was kept the same. Perfect snack for me!
I love to hear this, Angela! Great adjustments!
I love honey roasted peanuts and throughly enjoyed this recipe. First time I have ever made my own. Took a little longer to cook for me than recipe. (30 min)