Welcome fall with one of our favorite quick sweetbreads, this Maple Apple Nut Bread! It's packed full of fresh apple, buttery walnuts, and is sweetened by maple syrup. Topped with an easy-to-make maple glaze and you have an easy-to-make bread that's perfect for brunch or dessert!
If being at home has taught us anything, it's bread baking, am I right? While we have been loving the loaves and loaves of Dan's Como Bread that have been coming out of this quarantine, it was time for a sweetbread. One packed full of fruit and sweetened with one of our favorite (and go-to) sweeteners, real maple syrup. Thus, our real Maple Apple Nut Bread was born. And most recently, revised and updated to its best version, yet!
Ever since we came back from New Hampshire with so much real maple syrup and I've been putting it to good use and this maple quick bread was the perfect use!
The rest of the ingredients are pretty standard for a sweet quick bread.
- Flour - All purpose flour is best for this recipe, but a gluten-free flour also works well!
- Baking Powder - As the leavening agent.
- Egg - To provide structure and help bind the ingredients together.
- Milk - We use 2% because that's what we always have in the house, but you could use whatever you have.
- Maple Syrup - The real stuff! This is, hands down, our favorite natural sweetener for all of our favorite sweets.
- Apple - Our favorites for baking or either Honeycrisp or Granny Smmith. But you could also use any of your other favorie tart, crisp apples.
- Walnuts - While we love walnuts for this sweetbread, pecans would also be a great choice!
- Spices - Cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Vanilla Extract - Have you made your own yet?
The Maple Glaze
One of my favorite parts of this bread? This easy, delicious maple glaze! Made up on super simple ingredients:
- Maple syrup - This frosting is the ultimate maple icing on the maple sweetbread!
- Confectioner's Sugar
I love how easy this Maple Apple Nut Bread is.
Step 1: Mix the dry ingredients.
Step 2: Mix the wet ingredients.
Step 3: Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet - just enough so that it's all combined. Then fold in the apples and walnuts.
Step 4: Bake in a well-greased 9 X 5 loaf pan to be baked in a 325 degree oven.
While it bakes, you can get a start of the real star of this Maple Apple Nut Bread - the Maple Glaze.
Add it all to a bowl, give a good mix, and you're good to go!
And by good to go I mean good to pour all over this delightful apple/nut-packed maple sweetbread!
Don't mind me while I bathe in the maple glaze.
It's absolutely perfect for this Maple Apple Nut Bread. The bread itself isn't overly sweet, so the sweetness of the maple glaze is the perfect touch.
Other Sweet Brunch Treats
Maple Apple Nut Bread
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups diced apple honeycrisp or granny smith
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter or water very soft
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9 X 5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, butter, vanilla extract, milk, and maple syrup.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined - don't over mix!
- Gently fold in apples and walnuts.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. until center is fully cooked - and a toothpick pulls clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes, remove from pan and let complete cool on cooling rack.
- Make maple glaze and generously drizzle over bread. Let set, slice, and enjoy!
- In a small bowl add all ingredients and whisk.
- If too thin, add more powdered sugar (a little bit at a time). If too thick, add more maple syrup a teaspoon at a time.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!