This Mexican Street Corn Salad turns the classic Mexican street food into a delicious and easy to make side dish!
Friends, meet my new FFS… No, not FF Sake. Favorite Freakin’ Salad: Mexican Street Corn Salad. Mexican Street Corn Salad, meet your new friends. Colorful. Flavorful. Fresh. What else could you ask for in a salad?
You guys know we love a good side salad. Especially a corn salad. And the true testament to how good this salad is? M loved it so much she requested it for lunch and dinner for two days straight. Does it get any better than the seal of approval from a 3 year old?
What elevates this salad to the toddler lovin’ level? A little pan fried char on the corn.
Fresh or Frozen?
Speaking of corn, should you use fresh or frozen? There are benefits to each. You can get frozen any time of the year. Fresh is, well, fresh. Either will work for this dish. The most important piece is to be sure you add a little char to the corn from a nice pan fry. That’ll add the necessary flavor to mimic the classic Street Corn.
Next, a fresh, dressing of a lil’ homemade mayo, sour cream, lime juice, and a lot of flavor from the cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
Btw, have you made your own Mayonnaise From Scratch yet?
Other Great Ways use Mayo From Scratch
- Dill Onion Dip From Scratch
- Panko Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Fry Sauce From Scratch
- Avocado Tuna Salad
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Another key to this salad? Cotija cheese. Like a Mexican love child of Parmesan and feta cheese, this hard, crumbly cheese is really what ties this salad all together.
I recently made this on a girls trip to the beach for a taco bar night and it received rave reviews. Thumbs up from 15 diverse women AND a 3 year old? Yup; this one’s a keeper.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 4 cups corn approximately 24 oz frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro minced, a few leave for garnish.
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 2/3 cup cotija cheese shredded/crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice approximately 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium high and add corn. Cook until slightly charred, approximately 7-10 minutes. Add to large bowl and set aside.
- Add pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, and onion to large bowl with corn and mix well.
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and mix well until smooth.
- Add dressing to large bowl with corn and mix well. Add 1/2 cotija cheese and mix well.
- Add remaining cheese and some cilantro.
- Serve or cover and store in fridge for up to 8 hrs before serving.