This is the Best Kale Salad made with an easy, flavorful dressing, and fresh apple, rutabaga, carrot. It is one of my favorite ways to eat kale!
Best. I know, that's a pretty big statement but trust me, it is. Ok why trust me, when I can tell you it's one of Chef Marcus Samuelsson's favorite ways to serve kale. It's ok, trust him instead, I would!
My favorite part about this salad is that I just went out to my backyard and picked a huge bunch of White Russian Kale to use for it. From Scratch Kale! Except with said kale I also might have scared the dog when I screamed at a couple of spiders that crawled out on me while I cleaned it... proving everything has a cost, even home grown kale.
Once the eight legged stowaways were gone, I gave the kale a nice shred then added a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and a teaspoon of salt and massaged it in. Why "massaged"? 'Cause you really do have to use your hands to mix in all in. It's what will A. take away some of the kale's inherent bitterness, and B. give it that beautiful bright green glistening color. I let it set in the bowl while I whisked up the dressing,
and julienned a carrot, half a rutabaga, and a small green apple.
Then I added the veggies to the kale, poured on the delicious dressing,
gave it all a good mix, served it up, and thoroughly enjoy!
Seriously, the best kale salad I've ever made. For my training husband, I added some simple grilled chicken on top for some added protein. For me, this salad alone was perfect. The flavors are so amazing together and yet so fast and easy to make. Kale salad win!
- 2 bunches kale stemmed and leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 grinds fresh pepper
- 1 large carrot julienned
- 1 granny Smith apple julienned
- 1 cup rutabaga peeled and julienned
- Add the kale to a large bowl and add the vinegar, 1 tablespoons of the olive oil and salt. Use your hands to massage it all into the kale. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice, pepper, soy sauce, honey and remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with additional salt, if desired.
- Add the carrot, apple, and rutabaga to the kale. Add dressing and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!