Vegan Salted Cacao Thumbprint Cookies are the perfect gluten free, vegan holiday cookie that will be crowd pleasing to all of your guests!
How is Thanksgiving already over?! It seems like it came even faster this year than last. But what a wonderful Thanksgiving we had. Our Vegan besties Charles and Alicia hosted a Thanksgiving Brunch this year with food starting at noon, so those who had family dinners to go to could come have some mimosas or a Bloody Mary and hang out, before going to a family gathering. And yea… Vegan Thanksgiving?! But you know there were so many delicious dishes of such a variety, we didn’t even notice the lack of turkey or butter. Plus, we had a well stocked bar so we ate and drank in waves until after 9 pm.
Dan and I brought a few vegan friendly sides and then I decided to make these Vegan Salted Cacao Thumbprint Cookies, too. Since one of their good friends who was coming over is gluten free, not only were the sides and these cookies vegan, but also gluten free. Which to some people (ok probably most people) sounds horrible. My mother-in-law after we told her our Thanksgiving plans gave me an “Ewwww. Good luck with that.” But honestly, I love the challenge and these cookies were wonderfully simple. Almond flour, 100% cacao baking chocolate, pure NH maple syrup, coconut milk, and virgin coconut oil.
While they bake, in a make shift double boiler melt the baking chocolate and coconut milk. For added sweetness you could add honey or agave syrup too, although I like the cacao flavor so I just used the coconut milk and bars.
Then, when the cookies are done, I added the cacao into the little thumbprint impressions in the balls. The cookies are really really soft and crumbly so some of them I made a deeper thumbprint for more of the cacao.
Once filled, I added a sprinkle of coarse sea salt for a wonderful salt touch.
Super simple, Vegan Salted Cacao Thumbprint Cookies.
Vegan and gluten free. Although it wasn’t nearly as good as the lemon frosted apple cupcakes and pecan and date crust pumpkin pie that Charles and Alicia made, they certainly made a delicious addition. Especially when we cracked open the 5th bottle of wine 😉
Vegan Salted Cacao Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 2 oz 100% cacao baking chocolate
- coarse sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup.
- Roll out dough into 16 small balls. Place on an un-greased baking sheet and with thumb, indent the center of each ball.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- While the cookies bake, in a double boiler melt chocolate with coconut milk until combined and creamy.
- When cookies are done, fill the indents with a bit of the cacao. If needed, create a larger indent in the cookies. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over cacao if desired.