Dijon Mustard from Scratch
Easier than you think, Dijon Mustard from scratch!
- 2 Tablespoons brown mustard seeds *see recipe notes
- 3 Tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work, too
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or white or yellow onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch all spice
Add all dry ingredients together and mix: mustard seeds, salt, white pepper, all spice. Add shallot / onion and mix. Add white wine vinegar and mix. Add white wine and mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Add mix to blender or food processor. Blend until thickness and chunkiness desired.
Store in a small mason jar in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks to 2 months. See notes.
You can omit the wine for water to remove any alcohol content for children or pregnancy.
*This recipe makes spicy Dijon mustard. To adjust the heat, reduce the amount of brown mustard seeds.
While this mustard can last for up to a couple of months, you do want to check it for spoilage. Once it starts to dry up, darken, or begin to separate, then you should not consume.