Bread and Butter Pickles
Garden fresh cucumbers and just a few simple ingredients and you can make your own Bread and Butter Pickles from scratch!
Servings 1 Quart
- 5 1/2 cups 1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1 1/2 hours.
Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl.
Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container / jars in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.