Make your own Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch with just a few easy ingredients and less than 30 minutes!
Warm, fresh out of the oven Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch! Is there anything more comforting? How about the fact that this is so easy and fast that it can be made in 30 minutes on a busy weeknight? That's a win-win in my book.
As with all of our recipes, this is full of only whole ingredients. And this homemade cornbread uses pretty standard ingredients.
No buttermilk? No problem! Did you know you can make your own Homemade Buttermilk in 5 minutes?
Then of course, if you're going to use a cheddar, do yourself a favor and make sure it's Tillamook Sharp Cheddar.
Easy to Make
Step 1: Mix the dry ingredients together.
Step 2: Add the whisked egg and milk.
Step 3: Mix it all together.
Tip: But just a QUICK mix. The key with homemade cornbread is not to over mix it. The more you mix a dough the more it develops the gluten which is what makes it tougher, which is exactly what you don't want for a soft, moist cornbread like this!
Step 4: Bake!
Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch! Fluffy, moist, and packed full of cheddar! It's all you could ever ask from a cornbread, am I right?
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted, cooled slightly
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8X8 metal baking dish.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, butter, and eggs.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients, add the cheese and then mix until just it's all incorporated - don't over mix.
- Pour into greased baking dish and bake until top begins to golden and tester comes out cleanly.
- Cool a little in pan or on rack and serve warm.
- Store in an airtight container or foil at room temperature.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!