Make your own Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch with just a few easy ingredients and less than 30 minutes!
Warm, fresh out of the oven easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch! Is there anything more comforting? How about the fact that this is so easy and fast that it can be made on a busy weeknight? That’s a win-win in my book.
As with all of our recipes, this is full of only whole ingredients. And homemade buttermilk! Then of course, if you’re going to use a cheddar, do yourself a favor and make sure it’s Tillamook Sharp Cheddar.
and finally the cheese and giving it all a QUICK mix. Not too thorough – the key with cornbread is not to over mix it. The more you mix a dough the more it develops the gluten which is what makes it tougher, which is exactly what you don’t want for a soft, moist cornbread like this!
Which is exactly what this Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch is!
We had this with some Slow Cooked From Scratch Pulled Pork Sandwiches that was made with some of my hubby’s amazing Whiskey BBQ Sauce From Scratch! It was the perfect touch for a Crock Pot dinner. Even better, you can make the batter ahead.
This would also be killer with your favorite Fall Chili or Soup. Or with some Homemade Baked Beans and Bacon. Or with a great beer. Or just by itself when you’re up in the middle of the night looking for a snack, because trust me, there’s no shame in that! ;P
Easy Buttermilk Cheddar Cornbread From Scratch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup salted butter melted, cooled slightly
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8X8 metal baking dish.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, butter, and eggs.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients, add the cheese and then mix until just it's all incorporated - don't over mix.
- Pour into greased baking dish and bake until top begins to golden and tester comes out cleanly.
- Cool a little in pan or on rack and serve warm.
- Store in an airtight container or foil at room temperature.