Make your favorite sweet and salty peanut snack at home with this recipe for your own Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts!
Back in the day, I used to be a manager at a hotel in Vail, CO. I had a front desk agent, Hassan, who I will never forget. He used to call out to me from behind the desk back to my office, "Tray-CEE!" It used to drive me crazy, but he was so sweet and so endearing so even if I was super annoyed, when I'd see him, I'd be over it. Plus, he always had honey roasted peanuts stashed behind the desk for snacking. When I found out that he passed away, I knew the snack from scratch I had to make: Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts, in honor of Hassan!
If you have peanuts, then you most likely have everything else you need!
- Unsalted Peanuts - If you use salted, then cut out the salt entirely and be sure to use unsalted butter.
- Honey - Raw is always best!
- Butter - Unsalted is preferred, but if you only have salted, no problem, just add a 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Chili powder - I usually like to add a little more for more flavor, but for a more traditional honey roasted peanuts flavor, just a 1/2 teaspoon.
- Sugar - To add the signature sweetness!
- Garlic powder - Optional, we're garlic fans over here, so we love just a pinch but you can totally leave it out.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then melt butter, honey, and salt in a saucepan.
Step 2: Add peanuts and stir to combine.
Step 3: Roast the butter, honey-coated peanuts.
Step 4: Meanwhile, mix sugar, chili powder, and garlic powder.
Step 5: Once the peanuts are well roasted, add the sugar mixture, and done!
The first time I made these peanuts, I let the peanuts roast a little bit longer and didn't stir them every 5 minutes so they were a little darker, which I kind of liked.
But I've made them many times since, and when I actually stir them while they are roasting, they don't get too dark.
Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts, basically candied peanuts and I mean, can you go wrong with candied anything? Hello, our Guinness Candied Bacon!
Our Other Favorite Snacks
I just love these sweet n salty honey roasted peanuts. They are SO addicting. AND so much cheaper than buying them at the store. Hassan, my frugal and peanut-loving friend would have totally approved.
Honey Roasted Peanuts
- 2 cups raw unsalted peanuts
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, stir together the butter, honey, and salt. Heat until butter is melted and bubbly. Add the peanuts and stir until they are well coated.
- In a 9 X 13 baking dish, add peanuts in an even layer. Place in oven checking every 5 and stirring to prevent burning. Remove peanuts whenever they've evenly browned, about 20 minutes.
- While peanuts are roasting, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, and sugar.
- When peanuts are done, remove from oven and transfer to a metal mixing bowl. Slowly add the sugar mixture, a little bit at a time, mixing well each time. Continue to add sugar until well coated to your liking (all the mixture may not be necessary).
- Continue mixing as peanuts cool to prevent sticking.
- Serve and enjoy!