Make your favorite sweet and salty peanut snack at home with this recipe for your own Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts!
Back in the day, I used to be a manager at a hotel in Vail, CO. I had a front desk agent, Hassan, who I will never forget. He used to call out to be from behind the desk back to my office, "Tray-CEE!" It used to drive me crazy, but he was so sweet and so endearing so even if I was super annoyed, when I'd see him, I'd be over it. Plus, he always had honey roasted peanuts stashed behind the desk for snacking. When I found out that he passed away, I knew the snack from scratch I had to make: Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts, in honor of Hassan!
If you have the peanuts, then you most likely have everything else you need!
- Unsalted Peanuts - If you use salted, then cut out the salt entirely and be sure to use unsalted butter.
- Honey - Raw is always best!
- Butter - Unsalted is preferred, but if you only have salted, no problem, just add a 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Chili powder - I usually like to add a little more for more flavor, but for a more traditional honey roasted peanuts flavor, just a 1/2 teaspoon.
- Garlic powder
Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and then melt butter, honey, and salt in a sauce pan.
Step 2: Add peanuts and stir to combine.
Step 3: Roast the butter, honey coated peanuts.
Step 4: Meanwhile, mix sugar, chili powder, and garlic powder.
Step 5: Once the peanuts are well roasted, add the sugar mixture, and done!
The first time I made these peanuts, I let the peanuts roast a little bit longer and didn't stir them every 5 minutes so they were a little darker, which I kind of liked.
But I've made them many times since, and when I actually stir them while they are roasting, they don't get too dark.
Homemade Honey Roasted Peanuts, basically candied peanuts and I mean, can you go wrong with candied anything? Hello, our Guinness Candied Bacon!
Our Other Favorite Snacks
I love these peanuts. They are SO addicting. AND so much cheaper than buying them at the store. Hassan, my frugal and peanut loving friend would have totally approved.
Honey Roasted Peanuts
- 2 cups raw unsalted peanuts
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350º.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, stir together the butter, honey, and salt. Heat until butter is melted and bubbly. Add the peanuts and stir until they are well coated.
- In a 9 X 13 baking dish, add peanuts in an even layer. Place in oven checking every 5 and stirring to prevent burning. Remove peanuts whenever they've evenly browned, about 20 minutes.
- While peanuts are roasting, mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, and sugar.
- When peanuts are done, remove from oven and transfer to a metal mixing bowl. Slowly add the sugar mixture, a little bit at a time, mixing well each time. Continue to add sugar until well coated to your liking (all the mixture may not be necessary).
- Continue mixing as peanuts cool to prevent sticking.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!