Skip the take-out and make your very own Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken! It’s easier thank you think and you can make it with simple and easy ingredients you already have in your pantry!
Guys. It’s allllll the Asian flavors up in this house these days. Even though people often try to speak to me in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean (and any other Asian language that the speaker knows) because I am in Korean, I grew up in New England and was raised 100% Polish, so this much Asian deliciousness in our house isn’t common, but it’s now going to be because these homemade versions are so easy. With a two year old and a (now) 3 month old at home, dinner has to be easy these days. And although it might take a little bit of time, this Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken is easy!
Even though “from scratch” and “homemade” can often sound time consuming, it doesn’t have to be. Plus, you probably already have everything for this recipe in your pantry. Maybe you don’t have rice wine vinegar. In that case, you need to add it to your pantry immediately, especially if you want to make more Asian dishes.
Substitutes: You can also make this with boneless chicken thighs, but I personally prefer it with chicken breasts.
Step 1: Coat the chicken pieces in eggs, flour, and cornstarch and then fry. It’s the most most time consuming part of this recipe but 100% worth it.
Tip: For the best fry without the risk of undercooking and overcooking, is to make sure that your oil is 350 degrees. To do this, we have an instant read thermometer and love this one.
Step 2: Mix your sauce and then just mixing the sauce, adding it to a pan and then tossing your deliciously breaded and fried bits of chicken in it.
Step 3: Top with sesame seeds and green onions, serve over rice annnndddd done.
I mean, c’mon. How good does this look? Trust me, it tastes that good. I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I totally can’t. This is a creation by Dinner at the Zoo, who is amazing because all of her recipes are On. Point. Especially for a busy family!
My husband and my two year old could not get enough and have already requested it again! So skip the take out and make your own Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken!
Other Favorite Asian Inspired Recipes
Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken
For the chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- oil for frying
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and add salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- In another bowl, combine flour and cornstarch.
- Coat the chicken by dipping each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, then into the flour. Repeat with all of the chicken.
- In medium deep pot, add 3 inches of oil and heat to 350 degrees F
- Once oil is hot, add about 8 pieces of chicken at a time and cook for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Repeat with all of the chicken.
- Let chicken drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- While the chicken cooks, combine the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in a bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook garlic for 30 seconds then add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until just thickened.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, then serve immediately over rice or just on it's own!