Skip the take-out and make your very own Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken with simple and easy ingredients you already have in your pantry!
Guys. It’s allllll the Asian flavors up in this house these days. From our Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Chicken Thighs, to 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Noodles, and Homemade Hot and Sour Soup, and now this Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken, our weekly menu has been sooooo deliciously Asian.
Even though people often try to speak to me in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean (and any other Asian language that the speaker knows) because I am in Korean, I grew up in New England and was raised 100% Polish. Seriously, the town I grew up in had two Chinese food restaurants and one Thai restaurant, that’s it. Meanwhile, my dad and grandmother made pierogis. This much Asian deliciousness in our house isn’t common, but it’s now going to be because these homemade versions are so easy. With a two year old and a (now) 3 month old at home, dinner has to be easy these days. But even though “from scratch” and “homemade” can often sound time consuming, it doesn’t have to be. Plus, you probably already have everything for this recipe in your pantry. Maaaaybe you don’t have rice wine vinegar. In that case, you need to add it to your pantry immediately.
Want to be totally extra? Make your own ketchup and brown sugar! The most time consuming part of this recipe? Breading and frying the chicken. But it’s also one of the most satisfying… because really, who doesn’t love a good breaded and fried piece of chicken? It’s time well spent. When my husband took his first bite he went, “Oooh crispy!” Yup. Worth it. Then it’s just mixing the sauce and tossing your deliciously breaded and fried bits of chicken in it!Topped with sesame seeds and green onions annnndddd done. I mean, c’mon. How good does this look? Trust me, it tastes that good. I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I totally can’t. This is a creation by Dinner at the Zoo, who is amazing because all of her recipes are On. Point. Especially for a busy family!My husband and my two year old could not get enough and have already requested it again! So skip the take out and make your own Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken!
Homemade Crispy Sesame Chicken
For the chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- oil for frying
- Whisk the eggs and add them to a bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine flour with 1/2 cup of cornstarch to a bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, then into the flour. Repeat the process with all of the chicken.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pan to 350 degrees F
- When oil is hot, add about 8 peice of chicken at a time and cook for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Repeat with all of the chicken.
- Drain the chicken on a paper towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken cooks, combine the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in a bowl.
- Heat the tablespoon of sesame of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook garlic for 30 seconds then add the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until just thickened.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, then serve immediately.