This Asian Cucumber Salad incredibly light and refreshing and perfect for summer weather and to use those garden fresh cucumbers! It comes together in minutes requires only a few ingredients, and is a side salad that will compliment almost any summer menu!
Oh, cucumbers. I love you so. Even more now with this Asian Cucumber Salad. Our cucumber plants are doing so well this year, I'm pulling at least one a day! Which is perfect for this cucumber lovers salad!
- Fresh cucumbers
- White onion
- Sesame Seeds
- Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- Fresh dill
Easy to Make!
This salad comes together super fast, especially if you have handy dandy mandolin to do all of the supppperrr thin slicing for you! Then it's easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Slice cucumbers and onions
- Add the bowl with rest of ingredients
- Chill and then serve!
Do I really need a mandolin?
No, it's not 100% necessary, but it'll make everything a lot faster and it'll ensure super thin and even slices. Plus, it's a really handy tool to have around, we use this one all of the time:
I personally prefer to use English, Japanese, or Kirby because they are the crunchiest. The standard cucumbers that you get in the grocery store are typically American Slicing. They're a little less firm, have a slightly higher water content, and often a kind of waxy coating, which is why they're best for recipes that require peeled cucumbers. I would avoid using a thicker cucumber with bigger seeds like Lemon or Burpless cucumbers for this recipe.
It depends on the cucumber you use, but I usually just give a good scrub with some water and then slice with the skin on. Just make sure you get all those prickly little spines off of the skin first, especially if you're using a variety like Kirby.
You don't have to, but it brings out their nutty flavor more and it makes them crunchier. Plus, it changes the nutritional value of them and actually brings out more calcium! But totally optional - it's still delicious without them toasted.
Other Great Cucumber Recipes:
Enjoy all of those fresh summer cucumbers, friends!
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 2-3 large cucumbers English or Japanese
- 1/4 white or vidalia onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted, optional
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat a small saute pan over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and toast for 1 -2 minutes stirring constantly so they don't burn. This step is optional.
- Slice cucumbers and onions as thin as possible (with mandolin or by hand). Add to bowl with dill, salt (start with 1/2 teaspoon and taste and then add more if desired) sesame seeds, and rice wine vinegar. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!