In just minutes and simple ingredients you can kick up your enchiladas by making your very own enchilada sauce from scratch!
Who else loves all things enchiladas? Basically you're taking an almost perfect food, the burrito, and smothering it with a delicious sauce, cheese, and baking it. How can you go wrong? That's why we make our own Enchilada Sauce From Scratch!
- Vegetable Stock - Make your own!
- Tomato Paste
- Oil - olive or vegetable
- All purpose flour
- Ground chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Dried oregano
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Apple cinder vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
Making the Sauce:
Prep! This sauce comes together so quickly, too so it's best to prep everything in advance by mixing the spices and gathering the stock, paste, and vinegar.
Add oil gradually. Because the oil can burn quickly, heat the oil.
Have the paste ready! Once you add the spices to the hot oil, they can burn quickly so make sure you have that paste measured out and ready to add it quickly.
Slowly add the stock. While whisking, then add the stock slowly. If you don't have vegetable and don't mind it not being vegan or vegetarian, chicken stock works great, too!
Fresh sauce in just 10 minutes! And it freezes wonderfully!
What to Use with:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour all purpose or whatever you have
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste make your own! http://www.servedfromscratch.com/tomato-paste-scratched-it/
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock) make your own! http://www.servedfromscratch.com/vegetable-stock-from-scratch/
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Mix the dry ingredients all together in a small bowl: flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and cinnamon. Open the tomato paste and vegetable stock and have that ready to go.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil on medium. It'll be ready when if you sprinkle a tiny bit of flour in it and it sizzles. Once it's ready, add the dry ingredient mixture and whisk constantly for 1 minute, be careful it doesn't burn.. Slowly add the vegetable stock and tomato paste and continue whisking until lumps are whisked out.
- Bring heat to medium high to bring to a simmer, once simmering, lower the heat so that it's gentle simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, whisking often. This will thicken the sauce.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vinegar and pepper and salt to taste. As it cools it will continue to thicken.
- Slather it on your favorite enchiladas, or let cool and store in fridge for 2-3 days.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!