This easy-to-make Crustless Spinach and Feta Quiche is your lighter, low-carb homemade quiche solution! It's packed full of fresh spinach and feta cheese, making it a healthy, hearty, easy to make, any time of the day meal!
Oh, hey! It's been a while! It's for a good reason - lots of new and exciting recipes coming at ya! Including one of our latest, this crustless quiche. Last week I made it twice. Twice! That's how good it is and that's why it's made it into our regular rotation. Friends, meet our Crustless Spinach and Feta Quiche!
We love this quiche because it is so simple and easy to make. Nothing complicated, nothing super fancy. Just whole foods, and whole flavor.
- Spinach, Onions, and Garlic - Sautéed until soft. You could also use kale, shallots, add mushrooms or other veggies!
- Feta Cheese - I just love the flavor feta cheese adds. Plus, when we make our own Feta Cheese From Scratch, this is one of our favorite ways to use it!
- Eggs and Milk - Whisked together! We use 2% milk because that's what we drink in the house, but you could also use 1% or Whole, even.
- Butter and Parmesan Cheese - Instead of a crust, we just give a pie dish a nice butter coating and then add a little layer of cheese.
- Salt and Pepper - To taste, although we find with the saltiness of the feta cheese, you don't need to add much more!
Step 1: Because it doesn't have our normal butter laden (and delicious) pie crust (like we use for our Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch), I greased the pie dish with some butter and Parmesan cheese. Just enough for a light layer for all the quiche-y goodness to rest on.
Tip: You can also use a 9 inch aluminum pie pan if you plan to freeze. Here's what we keep on hand to use!
Step 2: Whisk the eggs and the milk together.
Step 3: Sauté the minced garlic and onion and added the spinach until it was wilted. With that, the parm / butter base, eggs and milk, and feta, I was ready for a super simple yet delicious quiche.
I had also just finished making some homemade feta cheese, which is truly my most favorite cheese to make. Not only is it delicious, but it lasts up to 4 weeks! This quiche was totally inspired by this feta. Ok that and because my husband has requested more spinach in our daily diets. Spinch+feta? Win.
Step 5: Add the feta to the spinach, onion and garlic and then mix with the eggs and pour it all into the pie dish.
Note: We use a standard 9 inch pie dish like this one.
A perfect fit ready for the oven!
Step 6: Bake! 50 minutes later, we had a perfectly cooked quiche.
Packed with spinach! Popeye would have totally approved. My studly husband did! It made a great protein, vitamin K, etc. rich dinner for him and a healthier brunch option for the gals!
Although we love this recipe exactly as it is, we also use it as a base to make a huge variety of other quiches! Here are some of our favorite additions:
- Cheddar cheese
- Diced ham
Make it your own! But be sure to share with me what you've added - I love hearing your substitutions / additions!
Our Other Favorite Egg Dishes
Definitely! You can make it like our Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche. You'll just want to reduce the ingredients to fit in the dish with the crust. Reduce to 4 eggs.
Definitely. It's totally customizable! Just give whatever veggies your add a quick sauté to soften.
Yup! Cook and let it cool completely first and either freeze whole or freeze in slices.
Yes! Just make sure that it's thawed and drained from as much liquid as possible first before sautéing.
We prefer to use 2% milk for this but you can use skim - whole, just keep in mind it will affect the richness of the dish. You can also use a soy milk sub, although the flavor wont be as rich. We don't recommend using an almond, or coconut milk because it will affect the flavor.
Crustless Spinach and Feta Quiche
- 2 bunches fresh spinach washed and trimmed from stems
- 3 oz feta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- butter for greasing or non stick spray
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Grease a pie dish with butter. Add shredded parmesan cheese to bottom of dish and spread in a very thin layer.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil on medium. Add garlic and onion until translucent. Add spinach and saute, mixing often until spinach is bright and wilted. Remove from pan and put in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, add 5 eggs, 2/3 cup of milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk well.
- Add crumbed feta to bowl with spinach. Add spinach mixture to large bowl with eggs. Mix well.
- Pour egg and spinach mixture into pie dish so that it fills dish but doesn't overflow.
- Bake for 50 minutes until egg has set.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!