It's your new favorite brunch! This Homemade Shakshuka is an incredibly easy to make one pan dish of poached eggs in a flavorful tomato, pepper, feta sauce!
4. The number of times I've made this recipe in 2 weeks. That's right. Four. That's how much I love this Homemade Shakshuka. Breakfast. Brunch. Lunch. Dinner. I've had it for each and each was delicious.
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka, "a mixture" in Arabic, in is a poached egg dish with simmered tomatoes with chilies or pepper, onion, garlic, feta, and the delicious flavors of cumin and paprika. It may sound fancy, but it's super easy. Like can-throw-together-on-a-week-night-with-two-kids-under-three kind of easy, easy!
While traditionally it is served as a breakfast dish, in our house, it's one of our favorite any time of the day vegetarian egg dishes served warm pita bread, challah, or (our personal favorite), garlic naan.
- Eggs - White, brown, whatever you have.
- Diced tomatoes and Crushed Tomatoes - I love a combination of both, but you could use all of one or the other. You could also use fresh diced or crushed, too.
- Green bell peppers - They add a great earthy flavor. Also, fun fact did you know that green bell peppers have double the vitamin C by weight as an orange?
- Onion and Garlic - Staples in our cooking.
- Spice Blend - Cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt, and just a pinch of cayenne - more if you'd like a little extra heat!
- Feta cheese - Oh hey did you know your can make your own feta?!
This recipe is totally customizable, too! Like a little extra heat? Add some more cayenne! Not enough cheese for you? Add more! We also sometimes load up on the bell peppers and onions, too. You basically can't go wrong!
How to Make Shakshuka
This is one of my favorite easy meatless meals to make that's great for any time of the day!
- Sauté garlic, onion, and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and spices.
- Make little wells to add your eggs, and add feta
- Cover and let simmer and cook the eggs
What's better than poached eggs? How about a one dish pan that takes time to simmer away on it's own. Helloooo low maintenance. Which is totally the name of the game in our house.
Can we talk about how the bell peppers bring just the right amount of earthy flavor? The tomatoes the right amount of acidity? The feta the perfect amount of salty cheesiness? And that perfectly poached egg? That just speaks for itself.
Oh hey, remember that Garlic Naan From Scratch we just made? Talk about a match made in heaven...
See that yolk? See that naan? See the feta with tomatoes seasoned to perfection? That's what I call make it 4 times in 2 weeks kind of good, GOOD.
So do yourself a favor and make this. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. Have I mentioned I've made it 4 times in just 2 weeks? Also, that even my kiddos love it? That, my friends is the true testament!
Our Other Favorite Egg Dishes
- Turmeric and Spinach Eggs
- Denver Omelette Waffles
- Spinach and Feta Egg Cups
- Avocado Baked Eggs
- Perfect Soft Scrambled Eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 white onion diced, approx 1 cup
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch cayenne to taste
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup feta cheese (seasoned or unseasoned, up to you!)
- Fresh parsley minced
- Homemade Naan
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium. Add garlic, onion, and bell peppers to skillet and sauté until onions were translucent, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Stir and let cook until it all comes to a simmer. Lower heat slightly and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Make small wells in the sauce and gently crack an egg in each well. Top with feta. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes until whites are set and yolks are thick but runny. If you don't want your yolks runny then cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Top with parsley and serve with fresh naan. Enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!