Your new favorite brunch! This Homemade Shakshuka is an easy to make one pan dish of poached eggs in a flavorful tomato, pepper sauce!
4. The number of times I’ve made this recipe in 2 weeks. That’s right. Four. That’s how much I love this Homemade Shakshuka. Breakfast. Brunch. Lunch. Dinner. I’ve had it for each and each was deeelicious.
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka, “a mixture” in Arabic, in is a poached egg dish or simmered tomatoes with chilies, onion, garlic, and the delicious flavors of cumin and paprika. It may sound fancy, but it’s super easy. Like can-throw-together-on-a-week-night-with-two-under-three kind of easy, easy. All it takes:
- Diced tomatoes
- Anaheim peppers
- spice blend of cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt
- feta cheese – oh hey did you know your can make your own feta?!
What’s better than poached eggs? How about a one dish pan that takes time to simmer away on it’s own. Helloooo low maintenance. Which is totally the name of the game in our house.
Can we talk about how the anahiem peppers bring just the right amount of heat? The tomatoes the right amount of acidity? The feta the perfect amount of salty cheesiness? And that perfectly poached egg? That just speaks for itself.
Oh hey, remember that Garlic Naan From Scratch we just made? Talk about a match made in heaven…
See that yolk? See that naan? See the feta with tomatoes seasoned to perfection? That’s what I call make it 4 times in 2 weeks kind of good, GOOD.
So do yourself a favor and MAKE THIS. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. Have I mentioned I’ve made it 4 times in 2 weeks? 😉
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 Anaheim peppers chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup feta cheese (seasoned or unseasoned, up to you!)
- Fresh parsley minced
- Homemade Naan
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic, onion, and Anaheim peppers to skillet and saute until onions were translucent, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Lower heat and simmer for 22-25 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Make small wells in the sauce and add eggs. Add feta. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes until whites are set and yolks are thick but runny. If you don’t want your yolks runny then cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Top with parsley and serve with fresh naan. Enjoy!