It's an incredibly fast and easy side dish that's also super healthy! These Balsamic Spinach and Mushrooms are a new favorite in our house that can be made in under 20 minutes!
Oh heeeyy. Thank GOD January is over, amIright? How are those New Year Resolutions holding up? Getting bored? Bland? Blah? Then here's a new side dish that'll switch it up for you: Balsamic Spinach and Mushrooms!
- Fresh baby spinach
- Fresh mushrooms (any kind you have!)
- Fresh garlic
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
We eat a lot of fresh spinach in this house.
Here are some of our favorites:
Crustless Spinach and Feta Quiche
Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche
Easy to Make!
Tips for Sautéing Mushrooms
- Use a large, wide, heavy skillet or sauté pan - You want to make sure that you have a good pan that'll give you enough room and retain the heat.
- Turn up the heat - You need a hot pan to get that sizzle on, especially since mushrooms hold a lot of moisture that they need to release.
- Season near the end - Adding salt will bring out more moisture so you want to add it towards the end of cooking.
- Add the garlic near the end, too - With the high heat that's needed, this will help avoid it from burning.
We love mushrooms in this house. Here are few fungi favorites:
Balsamic Shiitake Mushroom Steaks
Green Bean and Mushroom Braised Chicken
Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch
Sauteed all together, and it's perfection. And incredibly healthy.
Health Benefits of Spinach and Mushrooms
- Vitamin K - so good for your bones!
- Beta Carotene - great for your eyes!
- Vitamin A - for your skin!
- Folate - boost that energy!
- Vitamin B - helps support your immune system!
Basically, this dish is super duper healthy for you!
Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar right before it's done, and these Balsamic Spinach and Mushrooms take a boring ol' sautéed spinach to a new level.
Have you made this recipe or any of my others? Please let me know - I just adore hearing about it! Find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Balsamic Spinach and Mushrooms
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach approx 8 cups packed
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar more to taste if desired
- Heat olive oil in a large, wide saute pan or skillet on medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms begin to soften, brown, and are cooked through. Add salt and onion powder and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Turn down heat to medium and add spinach and turn with tongs until wilted (add in bunches if it all doesn't fit in the pan at once) Just before it's done, drizzle on balsamic vinegar and give a final toss.
- Plate and serve immediately.
I just made this and it was sooo good! I did add a bit of chicken broth, grape tomatoes at the end and topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. 😋
Yum! Thanks for sharing, Carissa, so glad you enjoyed it!
Delicious! I added shallots in the beginning and substituted with red wine vinegar. Yummy yummy!
Wonderful to hear, Darina. Thanks so much for sharing!
I made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing.
So glad you enjoyed it, Barbara!