Lunch or dinner in a hurry, and healthy, too! Our 15 Minute Black Bean and Spinach Burritos are one of our go-to quick, easy, well rounded, and delicious meals. Everything you love about a black bean, cheesy vegetarian burrito, plus some added greens!
I can't believe it's taken me this long to finally share this, because these 15 Minute Black Bean and Spinach Burritos have been a staple in our burrito loving house for a long time! Whenever I need a quick, well balanced lunch that I know the girls'll devour, this is it. Protein packed black beans, sweet corn, with plenty of melty cheese all wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla for a vegetarian burrito that has some bonus nutrition!
- Flour Tortillas - Have you made your own yet? For these, burritos we love to make them in large tortilla shells, but you could definitely make them in smaller ones, too.
- Black Beans - We always have at least canned beans around, unless we're on it for meal prep and have a batch of cooked black beans from dried beans ready to go.
- Corn - The corn adds just the right touch of sweetness. You can use and either canned, frozen, or when it's in season, fresh!
- Spinach - It's probably the guarenteed fresh produce we always have in our fridge because it's my favorite green to sneak into dishes.
- Garlic and Onion - Staples in our cooking.
- Spices - For these burritos we love a little cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cheese - Our favorites for this are Tillamooks Extra Sharp Cheddar, or a Mexican style blend with some Colby and Monterey Jack, too.
15 minutes, did I mention that? That means lunch or dinner fast, and in just one pan!
Saute the Filling
That's it! The filling for these black bean vegetarian burritos cook up fast with just a saute of the garlic and onion, spinach, then beans, corn, spices, and finally the cheeeeeeeeessssee.
Have I just eaten this delicious cheesy mixture straight out of the pan? Yes. Yes I have. How could you not, right? Now it's time to wrap!
How to Wrap a Burrito
One of the most important parts of successful burrito rolling is having a nice soft, pliable tortilla. To ensure this, steam your tortillas in either a steamer basket or in the microwave with a damp paper towel.
We love these cheesy black bean burritos stuffed as the girls like to share one.
Grab each side of the burrito and gently foldthem in over the top of your filling.
Keep those sides down and then fold up the bottom of the tortilla, so that it comes just over the filling.
Keep those edges down and then gently tuck the bottom of the tortilla under the filling.
With that bottom part of the tortilla tucked under, give the rest a tight roll, keeping those edges in.
Wrapped and ready to go, 15 Minute Black Bean and Spinach Burritos! Add a little fresh lime and your favorite hot sauce and boom. An easy, fast, delicious vegetarian cheesy burrito!
I hope you enjoy these bean burritos as much as we do!
Other Mexican Inspired Meals
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mexian Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Sweet Sriracha Chicken Tacos
- Bakd Flautas de Pollo
- Enchilada Skillet Pasta
Other Recipes with Snuck in Spinach
- Fresh Spinach Guacamole
- Spinach Tuna Melt
- Avocado Pasta Salad
- Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna
- Beef and Spinach Noodles
- Chickpea and Spinach Curry
15 Minute Black Bean and Spinach Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups black beans or 1 can drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn or 1 can drained
- 1 1/2 cups spinach packed, approximately 2-3 oz
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups finely shredded cheese cheddar, or pepper jack, monterey jack, or a mixture of any
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large flour tortillas
- Heat olive oil in saute pan over medium. Add garlic and onion and saute for 1-2 minutes .
- Give the spinach a quick chop and add to pan and saute, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add black beans and corn and stir and saute for another 5-6 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium low and add paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper and mix well. Top with cheese, and stir to combine and melt cheese.
- Meanwhile, add flour tortillas to a plate. Dampen a paper towels and place one on top of each tortilla. Microwave for 20 seconds to steam and soften tortillas.
- Place one tortilla on another plate or cutting board. Add two to three large scoops of filling to the center of the tortilla shell.
- Wrap the burrito by folding in each side of the tortilla over the filling toward the center. With sides folded, bring the bottom of the tortilla up over the filling and tuck it under the filling. Make sure your sides stay folded in. Gently roll the rest of the burrito, keeping those folded sides on the top of the remaining shell down and tightly wrap the rest of the burrito.
- Serve with hot sauce, lime juice, salsa verde, or any of your other favorite burrito condiments!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!