Try a new twist on your tacos by adding a little sweetness and a little heat topped with a fresh, cooling avocado cream sauce with these Sweet Sriracha Chicken Tacos!
Are you looking for a new taco to toss into your Taco Tuesday rotation? Then these Sweet Sriracha Chicken Tacos are exactly what you need. As anyone who's been around here at least a little bit knows, we are a taco lovin' household. My husband could literally eat tacos every single day and be happy and little M seems to be following suit! But usually, we keep it pretty traditional, chicken or ground beef made with our Homemade Taco Seasoning, Enchilada Sauce, or one of our favorites Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Tacos.
But it was time to try something new and branch out. To expand our taco horizons! Ok ok, truth be told I really wanted tacos but we didn't have anything in the house to make any pico de gallo, a necessity for all of the aforementioned tacos. And "running to the store" with a newborn, well, that just doesn't happen. Welcome, these sweet and spicy chicken tacos!
- Chicken - Boneless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs are best for this recipe.
- Sriracha and Honey - For the super simple marinade
- Spices - Salt to season the chicken, and then a touch of paprika and cumin for a little added flavor.
- Fresh Lime Juice - Fresh is always our preferred but bottled works, too!
- Avocados, Cilantro, and Sour Cream - For a creamy dreamy avocado topping
- Shredded Cabbage - We love the color of both green and purple in this recipe, but just one or the other is great.
Easy to Make
Step 1: Marinade the chicken.
This is just a simple mix of sriracha, honey, lime, and spices. As with most marinades, the more time you give it, the more flavor it will impart. Shoot for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hrs. This is great to prep the night before so you can have chicken tacos the next day!
Step 2: Prep the avocado cream sauce by just giving the avocados, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, salt, and sour cream a blitz in the food processor!
No food processor? No problem! Just mince the cilantro and then add it plus the avocado, sour cream, and spices to a small bowl and give it a good mash.
Step 3: Grill you chicken!
Use your favorite grill pan for the stove top or toss the chicken on your outdoor grill.
Step 4: Assemble!
Let your chicken rest for a minute after it's been grilled, this will prevent the juices from running out and drying out your chicken. Then top with shredded cabbage, a drizzle of the avocado cream sauce, and a drizzle of a little extra sriracha (because why not), and you have some Sweet Sriracha Chicken Tacos!
These chicken tacos received two thumbs up from all the taco lovers in our house and it was a welcome change from our standard taco rotation!
Other Favorite Tacos
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Enchilada Chicken Tacos
- Crock Pot Chicken Carnitas Tacos
- Corn Tortillas From Scratch
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
Sweet Sriracha Chicken Tacos
- 2 boneless chicken breasts or 1- 1 1/2 lbs bonless thighs
- 3 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch cumin
- 6 small soft corn or flour tortilla shells
- 1 - 2 cups shredded cabbage
- fresh cilantro
- Season chicken with kosher salt.
- In a large sealable plastic bag add sriracha, honey, cumin, paprika, and lime juice. Seal and use hands to mix it all from the outside of the bag. Season chicken with salt and add chicken to bag, mixing it and coating the chicken. Put in fridge and let marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hrs (the longer the better!).
- When you're ready to eat, heat grill or grill pan. High for the grill and medium for a grill pan. Turn grill down to medium and grill chicken until done, approximately 6-7 minutes on each side, until the center reaches 165 degrees. Note that the marinade will make the skin brown quickly. Remove chicken from grill and let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, add avocado, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and salt to a food processor and cream.
- Slice chicken and add to tortillas. Top with shredded cabbage and drizzles of the avocado cream, sriracha, top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!