Nutritious and delicious! Our homemade Hamburger Vegetable Soup is a hearty, healthy ground beef soup recipe that's packed full of veggies, gluten and dairy-free, easy to make, and one that the whole family will love!
We are in the heart of soup season, here in the PNW! With our first major storm under our belts, it is all about the warm comforting soups now. Especially after so many went without power for so long during the storm. Our Hamburger Vegetable Soup recipe is a ground beef soup packed full of nutrition and comfort, but without any dairy or gluten, all while being clean and healthy! Even better, it's quick and easy to make, easily customized, and perfect for the freezer, too!
- Ground Beef - We prefer a leaner cut for this beef soup recipe, 85% or 90%.
- Veggies: Green beans, celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and tomatoes are our go-to for this recipe, but you can absolutely customize this to your tastes and preferences.
- Potatoes: We love a couple of red potatoes in here, but russets or gold would be delicious too, use whatever you have!
- Beef Stock: Have you made your own, yet?
- Worcestershire Sauce: This adds some great umami flavor!
- Tomato Paste: We like to add just a touch to add some added tomato richness and depth.
- Spices: Parsley, thyme, oregano, ground mustard, celery salt, and salt and pepper, complimentary herbs and spices to season and flavor this savory soup.
Easy to Make
After cooking your ground beef in the onions and garlic, be sure to drain any excess fat from the pot to prevent your soup from being greasy. If using lean ground beef, there shouldn't be much to drain!
To ensure even cooking of the veggies be sure to give them all a nice even chop. We like to keep the carrots on the smaller side for faster cooking.
Because we add the potatoes and veggies in this soup at the same time, we keep those potatoes nice and small so that they cook fast! If you prefer larger-sized potatoes in your soup, you can add them first to the soup and then the veggies. See recipe notes
This ground beef and vegetable soup is absolutely perfect for the freezer!
Hamburger Vegetable Soup! Ready in just 30 minutes and packed full of everything you need for a well-balanced meal.
Serve it With
- Crusty French Baguette
- Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Hawaiian Rolls
- Garlic Naan From Scratch
- No Knead Rosemary Garlic Bread
- Saltines From Scratch
Hearty and healthy and clean eating comfort food! This Hamburger Vegetable Soup highlights how you can make an absolutely delicious soup from scratch with fresh, whole ingredients, fast. It'll be sure to keep you warm during these winter months, or can be ready and waiting in the freezer when you need it!
- or large stock pot
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup fresh green beans trimmed and cut in thirds
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 1/2 cup potatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth
- Cook Ground Beef: Add olive oil to the Dutch oven and heat over medium. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add ground beef and crumble with a wooden spoon while it cooks. Cook until all of the ground beef is cooked and no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add Spices: Add tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, parsley, oregano, celery salt, salt, and pepper and mix.
- Add Potatoes and Veggies: Add the chopped potatoes, fresh veggies, and the beef stock.
- Simmer: Turn up the heat and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.