Take your homemade tacos to the next level! Skip the pre-made packets and in just a few minutes make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning from scratch with just a few very simple ingredients!
Use it to make our Turkey Taco Cups!
I think one of the best things about learning to cook from scratch is discovering how simple so many things are. Prime example: Taco seasoning. Sure, it's super easy to buy those pre-mixed packets for super fast taco meat seasoning for your homemade tacos, but you know what's also super fast? Making your own Homemade Taco Seasoning from scratch.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients
I bet you have everything you need to make a taco seasoning from scratch already in your pantry!
- Cumin - We prefer a more cumin heavy seasoning because we love its earthy peppery flavor.
- Smoked Paprika - Emphasis on the smoked because there are 3 kinds of paprika, sweet, hot, and smoked. Smoked may also be known as pimenton or smoked Spanish Paprika. Smoked is our favorite for this, although sweet is also great.
- Chili Powder - This is also actually a blend of dried chilis and spices, too.
- Onion and Garlic Powder - Do we ever make anything without onion and garlic?
- Cayenne - For the heat and can be adjusted to your heat tolerance.
- Salt - Of course. And for this, we prefer kosher salt.
Can we also talk about how affordable it is to make your own homemade taco seasoning? Especially if you're able to buy your spices in bulk!
Easy to Make
How to make taco seasoning? It honestly could not get any simpler!
Step 1: Add all ingredients to a small jar. We love these 4 oz mason jars, which are what we use in our spice drawer.
Step 2: Mix!
And you're done! Homemade Taco Seasoning! That is a great base and totally adjustable to your own taste! Love more cumin? Great! Want it hotter? Kick up that cayenne! Garlic your love language? You measure the amount of garlic in there with your heart, boo.
Ready in just minutes you can have your new favorite taco meat seasoning! It's great with chicken, ground beef, or even tofu! It is our go-to taco seasoning for our Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos or any of our homemade tacos!
Serve it With
- Fresh Pico de Gallo From Scratch
- Fresh Spinach Guacamole
- Corn Tortillas From Scratch
- Fresh Green Salsa From Scratch
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
A single batch of this recipe is perfect for about 1 1/2 lbs of meat.
I make a triple batch to fill a 4 oz mason jar to keep on hand.
With a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne it is on the spicier side. For a milder seasoning, use a pinch - 1/8 teaspoon.
2 tablespoons of this seasoning is equivalent to one packet.
In an airtight container, this seasoning will last up to 6 months.
Enjoy! As always, if you make this recipe or any of my others, I love to hear what you think! Leave a comment below, email me, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
If you want to see more, be sure to sign up for my 5 Easy Ways to Start Cooking From Scratch!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl or jar and mix well!
- Store in an airtight containter at room temperature for up to 6 months.
Love your spice blend and creative photos!
Thanks so much, Mahy! 🙂
Amanda @ The Chunky Chef
Saw this post on FB and had to come comment... love this!! I love making my own spice blends, and I'll be trying this one out tonight for our taco salads 😀
Aw thank you!! Homemade spice blends are the best!! I hope you enjoy! 😀
Looks so good <3
I have always thought that taco seasoning is not necessary, but yours? yummy, I could give it a try! 😀
Julie is HostessAtHeart
I love making my own mixes too. No MSG or high sodium levels. Plus, they are typically spices we keep on hand anyway. Great post!
Thanks, Julie! 🙂
Loving that as in Mexico City right now!
Oooooh can wait to see all the awesome tacos and other Mexican deliciousness you get to indulge in down there! 🙂
Yeah its not going that well!! Mexico city has tyrned 'international'
Oh no! Time to venture to the little villages on the outskirts!
Stephanie @ The Cozy Cook
Homemade taco seasoning is the BEST! Mark loves making his own when he makes chili and tacos- you’re right, super easy! We’ll definitely use this recipe next time because he just wings it, HA. I love the tip about buying the seasoning in bulk, I buy anything in bulk that I can because it saves so much money, I didn’t think about seasoning though- nice!!
Jerky in the smoker and homemade taco seasoning? Your hubby is awesome. And ohhhh buying spices in bulk is the way to go! That way you're just paying for the spice and not the container and packaging 😉