This One Pot Cheesy Kielbasa, Broccoli, and Rice is not only fast and easy to prep, make, AND clean up after, but it’s a delicious weeknight dinner, too!
Here’s a quickie for you, friends! Not only is this One Pot Cheesy Kielbasa, Broccoli, and Rice a quickie, but I’m currently surrounded by not one, not two, but three large half packed suitcases as we get ready to take our first family vacation with not one, but two kiddos. So this’ll be quick, too.Where are we going? A nice weekend to the coast? A couple of hour drive to central Oregon? Oh no. For our first family trip, we’re flying 3,000 miles to Virginia for a week. Pray for us. 😉
Anyway, this dinner was on our menu this week among my many check lists, loads of laundry, and overall general mental preparation to travel with a 2 year old and 7 week old. Why? Because it’s fast. And it’s easy. And it’s freakin’ tasty. AND it’s all done in one pot. Slice and cook the kielbasa, then cook the veggies, and the rice (we usually prefer brown rice, this recipe does need to use white because of cooking time), top with cheese, and boom. Dinner. All in the same pot! Seriously. So easy and soooo good. And pro tip, with some of the leftovers, scramble it up with an egg or two and wrap it in a flour tortilla with some hot sauce for a killer breakfast burrito! Clearly that was obviously my burrito loving husband’s concoction.
This will definitely be on our busy weeknight rotation of one pot / sheet pan dinners like our 15 Minute Garlic Fried Noodles, One Pot 20 Minute Greek Pasta, Sheet Pan Shrimp and Asparagus, Sweet Potato Turkey Skillet, and of course all of our favorite Crock Pot meals!
One Pot Cheesy Kielbasa, Broccoli, and Rice
- drizzle olive oil (about 1/2 tablespoon or less)
- 1 Polish Kielbasa, sliced on a diagonal
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked white basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- In a large pan, drizzle olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add kielbasa and cook 3 minutes on each side and then remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, and pepper and saute until onion is translucent and season with salt and pepper.
- Add rice and stir to combine, then continue to stir for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli, but don't mix in, just add to the top, and cover. Cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in kielbasa and 1 cup of cheese until cheese has melted.
- Top with remaining cup of cheese. Cover with lid and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and serve immediately.