So I’ve posted chicken stock before, but it’s winter season again, aka soup season, and Chicken Stock From Scratch is a critical part of it so I had to share it again. Plus, it has to be one of the easiest things to make at home!We had a chicken carcass from a baked chicken we’d made this week. So, I threw that in a pot with a couple of skin on chicken thighs (for the flavor and the super cooked meat for dehydrated chicken treats for Nigel), and a ton of veggies. Second best part of homemade chicken stock, it’s the perfect way to “use” those veggies in your fridge that need to be used. In this case, it was a bunch of green onions. Plus some extra chicken skin from the chicken breasts I’ll be making tomorrow, and of course the standard celery, carrots, onion, garlic, oregano, and lots of kosher salt.I threw it all into a huge stock pot, turned the heat up to high, and let it do its thing for about 3 hours.When it was done, look at that amazingly rich and deliciousness!A good strain of the veggies and chicken…
…and we’re in business. Almost 10 cups of homemade stock, the perfect start for future homemade soups!
Now that you’ve made the stock, here’s how you can clarify it!
- Chicken Stock from Scratch2015-09-03 05:44:15Yields 10Use that leftover chicken skin and other scraps for make your own chicken stock!Write a reviewIngredients
- 2 gallons of water
- 1 mostly stripped chicken carcass
- 2 skin on chicken thighs
- 2 chicken wings
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery + center leaves of stalk
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 4-5 tablespoons of kosher salt
- 1-2 tablespoons of oregano
- In a large stock pot, add chicken, vegetables, salt, and oregano. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 3 hours or until stock richness is to your liking. Strain out chicken and vegetables and let cool. Store in fridge for up to a week or in freezer for up to a month before using.
Served From Scratch https://www.servedfromscratch.com/
- The best part about this - you can adjust it anyway you want for your tastes and for what you happen to have in your kitchen!