This Green Bean and Mushroom Braised Chicken is everything you need for a low maintenance, healthy chicken and green beans dinner in one pan! It's perfect for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner.
Give our One Pan Greek Chicken Legs a try next!
You guys already know how much we love chicken in this house. Usually, it's either thrown in the trusty Crock Pot or baked, but for some reason, we hardly ever braise it. Until now. We're upping our chicken dinner game with this Green Bean and Mushroom Braised Chicken recipe! This braised chicken is a simple, low-maintenance kind of dinner that's made in one pan, packed full of fresh vegetables, and one that's low fat and low carb!
- Chicken Breasts - Boneless is best for this recipe, but thighs are also great! Bone-in breasts will take much longer to cook though,
- Fresh Mushrooms - Cremini are our favorite, but any kind that you have would be great in this!
- Green Beans - Fresh is of course our favorite but you could also use frozen. We don't suggest using canned though because they'll get mushy.
- Garlic, Onion, and Shallots - Do we ever cook without them?
- Stock - We prefer either chicken or beef stock for this recipe. Have you made own, yet?
- Red Wine Vinegar - Just a splash to deglaze the pan after searing the chicken.
- Parsley and Thyme - These two herbs pair perfectly with chicken, mushrooms, and beans. You can use fresh or dried.
- Oil, Salt, and Pepper - To season the chicken and saute the alliums!
What is Braising?
Braising is a cooking method that starts with searing and ends with being cooked in a liquid. This helps develop a depth of flavors and also makes it nice and hands-off when you want a lot of flavor but don't have a lot of time to manage something cooking. While braising is often used for tougher cuts of meats to help tenderize them, it's also a delicious method to cook chicken and veggies!
Step 1: Sear the seasoned chicken.
Step 2: Deglaze the pan and then sauté onions, garlic, and shallots.
Step 3: Add your fresh veggies and stock and return the chicken to the pan.
Step 4: Put it all back in the oven to finish!
And then you'll have 45 glorious minutes of "free" time while the chicken and green beans braise in the oven. Which as a busy parent, that time is precious!
Green Bean and Mushroom Braised Chicken! A gluten-free, low-carb, healthy dinner that's full of flavor and only dirties one pan!
You Also Might Like
- 15 Minute Garlic Butter Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Healthy Chicken Leek and Potato Bake
- Easy Chicken Scampi
- Chicken and Broccoli Sesame Noodles
- Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing From Scratch
Green Bean and Mushroom Braised Chicken
- large saute pan 3.5 - 6 quart
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 shallot sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 - 1 lb green beans trimmed and halved
- 1/2 - 1 lb crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Stock chicken, beef, or vegeteable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sear Chicken: Season both sides of the chicken with 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Heat pan over medium-high and add olive oil. Sear chicken 1-2 minutes on each side and then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Saute Onions: Deglaze the pan with red wine vinegar and another tablespoon of olive oil, use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Turn heat down to medium, and add onions, garlic, and shallots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add Stock and Veggies: Add chicken stock to the pan and then return chicken to the pan and add the green beans and mushrooms to the pan. Season veggies with the last teaspoon of salt and the parsley and thyme. Depending on the size of the pan you use, this will look like it's overflowing, don't worry, it all cooks down. The most important thing is that the chicken is in the stock to braise.
- Cook: Place skillet in the oven uncovered to braise. Cook for 25 minutes and stir veggies so that they all get coated with stock. Return to oven to finish cooking for the final 20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees internal temp.