With fresh homemade ricotta cheese and a homemade pie crust, you can make a rich, savory Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch!
I've been dreaming about this pie ever since I started making ricotta cheese from scratch. I'm embarrassed that it's taken me this long to actually make it because it means I've missed out on so much time that this amazing Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch could have been in my life!
I mean truly, how can you go wrong with a buttery pie crust, cheese center, and fresh tomato topping? You can't.
- Fresh Tomatoes - Romas are typically our go-to for most tomato dishes, but you can use your favorite or any that you have on hand.
- Fresh Ricotta Cheese - Have you made your own yet? It's so incredibly easy to make!
- Parmesan Cheese - To add a little more cheesy flavor, but you could also use nutty cheese like Asiago, Romano, or Gruyere.
- Fresh Basil - Because is there anything better than fresh tomatoes and fresh basil together?
- Pepper - For
- Flour, butter, Salt - For the Crust.
As usual, fresh and simple. It's really all that you need.
Make the Pie Crust
Add flour, salt, and cold butter to a bowl
A little touch of cold water and then form into a dough.
Once you have your dough, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out on a nice floured surface. The dough will be nice a smooth and relatively easy to roll out, thanks to all of the butter.
Add it to your pie dish, trim the edges, and then give the bottom a few good pokes with a fork.
Now it's ready for the blind bake. This is a step you don't want to skip, because this is what helps prevent the bottom of your pie from becoming soggy.
Make the Filling
Add you cheeses, egg, salt, pepper, and minced fresh basil to a bowl and give it a good mix.
Once the pie crust is pre-baked, then it's ready for the filling,
and topped it with fresh sliced roma tomatoes, a little extra basil, and a few more turns of the pepper grinder.
Baked for 45 minutes and Whoa. Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch!
Trust me. It's worth making a fresh batch of ricotta cheese for this.
Other Ways to Use Fresh Ricotta
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- Ricotta Pancakes
- Fresh Ricotta Ravioli From Scratch
- Fresh Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna
Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch. A pie full of fresh cheese goodness. Bring this to a party, serve it at a brunch, or serve it with a big hearty green salad and a crispy, tangy dry Pinot Gris or dry Riesling!
Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch
- Pie dish
- pasty cutter
- 1/2 cup butter one stick - room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- pinch salt
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced
- 2 roma tomatoes sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, add flour and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until a crumbly dough is formed. Add water and mix until a dough forms. Knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough out and fit to a pie pan. Trim edges to fit pan and then pierce with fork multiple times.
- Blind Bake in oven for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add cheeses, basil, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add cheese mixture to pie crust and layer tomato slices in an even layer circle. Top with additional fresh basil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, let cool and serve.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!