With fresh homemade ricotta cheese and a homemade pie crust, you can make a rich, savory Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch!
I’ve been dreaming about this pie ever since I started making ricotta cheese from scratch. I’m embarrassed that it’s taken me this long to actually make it because it means I’ve missed out on so much time that this amazing Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch could have been in my life!
The best part about this pie is that it’s so simple but still incredibly fresh. I mean c’mon, does anything bad come out of fresh basil, tomatoes, and homemade cheese? Right now my homemade cheese list is still limited to soft cheeses. Hard cheeses like Parmesan and Cheddar, they’re nuts I haven’t cracked yet. But I’m determined to figure them out, soon!Then add a homemade butter pie crust! It sounds daunting, but it’s actually incredibly easy. This is our go to pie crust, especially for savory pies like our Ratatouille Pie and Spinach, Ham, and Cheddar Quiche. Just flour and salt,and some room temp butter cut in. A pastry cutter makes this waaayy easier and it’s a great investment. And by investment, I mean $9.00 on Amazon.Add a little water and knead into a dough,
and roll out and fill a pie pan and give it a few little pierces from a fork for the pre-bake.While the pie crust pre-bakes, then it’s just a mix of the fresh homemade ricotta cheese, some fresh grated Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and egg, and salt and pepper. Notice the emphasis on fresh? After a little pre-bake in the oven I filled the crust with the fresh cheesy goodness,and topped it with fresh sliced roma tomatoes, a little extra basil, and a few more turns of the pepper grinder.Baked for 45 minutes and whoa. Say it with me, Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch.
Trust me. It’s worth making a fresh batch of ricotta cheese for this. Then, since you’ll have a big batch of fresh ricotta cheese, go ahead and make some Lemon Ricotta Cookies or some Ricotta Pancakes.
Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch. A pie full of fresh cheese goodness. Bring this to a party, serve it at a brunch, or serve it with a big hearty green salad and a crispy, tangy dry Pinot Gris or dry Riesling!
Ricotta Tomato Pie From Scratch
- 1/2 cup of butter one stick - room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- 1-2 tablespoons of water
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese*
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons basil minced
- 2 fresh roma tomatoes sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, add flour and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter. Add water and mix until a dough forms. Knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough out and fit to a pie pan. Trim edges to fit pan and then pierce with fork multiple times.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix cheeses, basil, egg, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add cheese mixture to pie crust and layer tomato slices in an even layer circle.
- Bake for 45 minutes