Ready in just 15 minutes, this Tuna Pea Pasta is a light, healthy, pasta with tuna recipe made with fresh herbs, canned tuna, and sweet peas. It is so easy to make and a family favorite that can be served hot or cold or for lunch or dinner!
If ever you need to know the value of a dish, just give it to a 5-year-old. Luckily, I happen to have a very opinioned one around who declared this pasta with tuna recipe her favorite. If that's not a glowing recommendation for our latest Tuna Pea Pasta, then I don't know what is!
My kids love it because of the tuna and pasta. I love it because it is light, healthy, packed full of peas, delicious served hot or cold, annnnnd ready in just 15 minutes! It is our new favorite, fast, pasta of the summer!
- Pasta - My favorite for this recipe is a farfalle, bu you can use your own favorite! Even better, you know you can always make your own! No time to make your own? No problem, jus use your favorite brand!
- Peas - Key to a tuna pea pasta recipe, right? I just love the subtle sweetness to them, plus they happen to be one of our girls' favories. We always have frozen peas in our freezer ready, but if you have access (and time to shell) some beautiful fresh peas, well color me green!
- Tuna - We love this tuna pasta packed with albacore tuna.
- Garlic and Onion - Staples in our recipes.
- Herbs - I just love the flavor of fresh dill with tuna. But if you don't have fresh, no problem, dried herbs work too! Just see the recipe notes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Whenever we use olive oil raw, we use a good extra virgin olive oil, and one of our favorites righ now is Tre Olive out of Italy (of course).
- Lemon Juice - Fresh or bottled, whatever you have to add a little acidity and brightness.
- Parmesan Cheese - Just a touch of cheesysalty goodness.
- Salt and Pepper
Tip: For the best olive oil, check out our olive oil break down here.
15 minutes. FIFTEEN! Another reason why this tuna pasta recipe is such a winner.
Step 1: Prep a pot of boiling water.
Step 2: Add pasta and then a few minutes in, add the peas.
Step 3: Meanwhile, make your light, bright, dressing.
Tip: We love using these Pyrek with a pour spout for dressings.
Step 4: And saute your garlic and onion, before adding your drained pasta and peas!
Step 5: Add the dressing, mix, and then cheese!
Given a final mix and done!
Tuna Pea Pasta for the win!
One of the (many) reasons why I love this recipe, is it's delicious hot or cold! Which makes this a perfect make-ahead dish!
It's easy. It's healthy. It's ready in just 15 minutes. How can you go wrong? My girls love this for lunch or a light dinner. And it's perfect for summer!
Summer Pasta Favorites
- Sesame Soba Noodle Salad
- Avocado Pasta Salad
- 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Noodles
- 15 Minute Garlic Fried Noodles
- 15 Minute Garlic Parmesan Zoodles
- Shrimp Zoodle Scampi
Ready fast made easy, and most importantly, this Tuna Pea Pasta is delicious! We love this dish, so much!
Of course! Use another cut of pasta or even rice noodles. Use your favorite, just be sure to cook to the particular pasta's instructions. If using fresh pasta that's only about 2-3 minutes. Otherwise, just follow the instructions on the package.
While sweet peas are our favorite to use, but of course you can use any that you have. If using frozen, add to the pasta water like the peas. If using canned or fresh, see recipe notes.
We always have frozen peas on hand so that's what we use for this recipe but you can of course also use fresh or canned. If using fresh, just add in the last 2 minutes of boiling. If using canned, since they're already cooked, all you need to do is add with the tuna.
Of course! Just use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for every 1 tablespoon of fresh.
Definitely! Prep the pasta and veggies and the dressing and cheese separately and then mix it all together right before serving.
That's totally up to you, we love it both ways!
Tuna Pea Pasta
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 2 7 oz cans albacore tuna drained
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 onion diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill minced
- Heat a 3 quart pot of water on stove until it comes to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl of measuring cup with a pour spout, add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Whisk and set aside.
- When water comes to a bowl, add pasta. When there's about 4 minutes left for the pasta to cook, add frozen peas.
- While peas cook, heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot and saute garlic and onion until soft and transluscent.
- When pasta is al dente, drain and add to the onions in the pot, add the tuna and mix.
- Sprinkle on herbs, mix, and then drizzle dressing. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and give a final mix.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!