Put all of that summer squash to good use by making these oven Baked Parmesan Zucchini Spears! Tender zucchini spears coated in herbed oil and topped with cheese, this easy, healthy side dish is ready in just 20 minutes!
Anyone else in FULL summer mode with more zucchinis than you know what to do with? SAME. And I LOVE it. Especially since it means that we're making all the zucchini dishes. Including our latest zucchini recipe, these oven Baked Zucchini Parmesan Spears!
We love this recipe because not only is it a great way to use those garden-fresh zucchinis in a flavorful, healthy way, but it's ready in just 20 minutes!
- Zucchinis - Garden fresh are best for this oven baked zucchini! You can use whatever size you pull out of your garden, see my notes below on how to prepare based on size.
- Parmesan Cheese - Is there anything better than zucchini and Parmesan together? You could also use another hard cheese like asiago or romano.
- Olive Oil - Extra Virgin is best for this!
- Herbs - Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
What size Zucchini to use?
While it's generally best to harvest your garden-fresh zucchinis when they're about 6 - 8 inches long if you're like me, sometimes you don't get to them until they're way past that point, and for this parmesan zucchini recipe, that's totally ok!
6 - 8 Inches Long: For this sized zucchini, you can get about 12 spears, that are 3 1/2 - 4 inches, after you cut the top and end off, then cut it into quarters, and slice those quarters into 3 spears.
9 + Inches Long: For the big guys, you'll just want to cut your zucchini into thirds (or even quarters if they're real big), then half and them, and cut those into 4-5 spears. These spears will still be pretty big, mostly in height from the seeds, so then you can slice off some of the seeds.
Keep those skins on! You don't want to peel the zucchini for these - those skins will help keep the spear's shape when they bake.
Easy to Make
Step 1: Add your sliced spears to an aluminum-lined tray in a single layer.
Step 2: Mix your spices.
Step 3: Add oil to your spices and mix.
Step 4: Brush the zucchini spears with oil and spice mixture.
TIP: While you could drizzle the oil on the spears and then sprinkle with spices, I prefer to mix the oil with the spices and then use a brush to spread it on the spears. I find that this ensures better spice distribution.
Step 5: Top spears with Parmesan cheese.
Step 6: Bake!
And done! These Parmesan zucchini spears are tender and so flavorful!
We love to add a little extra Parmesan cheese, for good measure. Baked Parmesan Zucchini Spears, an easy, gluten-free side that's ready in 20 minutes and the perfect use for all of those fresh garden zucchinis!
Our Other Zucchini Favorites
- Zucchini "Apple" Bars
- Sweet Zucchini Relish
- Panko Parmesan Zucchini Fritters
- 15 Minute Garlic Parmesan Zoodles
- Shrimp Zoodle Scampi
Enjoy those fresh zucchinis, friends! Especially those baseball-sized zucchinis. While our Zucchini "Apple" Bars are really best for those big boys, this recipe works for them, too!
Enjoy! As always, if you make this recipe or any of my others, I love to hear what you think! Leave a comment below, email me, or you can find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!
If you want to see more, be sure to sign up for my 5 Easy Ways to Start Cooking From Scratch!
Baked Parmesan Zucchini Spears
- baking tray
- silacone pastry brush
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs fresh zucchini
- 1 cup parmesan cheese fresh grated, split 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper fresh ground
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminom foil.
- Slice zucchini into 3 1/2 - 4 inch spears and line them on baking sheet in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, add salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and pepper into a bowl and mix. Add olive oils and mix until a loose paste is formed.
- Use pastry brush to spread oil mixture on zucchini spears.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven up to broil and cook fro another 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and serve.
This was honestly better than any fries - loved the soft, creamy zucchini flesh when it cooked!!! The cheese and seasoning just made it perfect
Great to hear, Ksenia!
I love fresh zucchini and this is a great way to fix it. It was delicious!
Glad you enjoyed it, Michele!
These baked parmesan zucchini spears are amazing ! This was such an easy and flavorful recipe . I will never cook zucchini another way.
Whoooo! Thanks Debbie!
Amy Liu Dong
This is so easy and delicious. I am so excited to make this for tonight's dinner!
This is honestly my favourite way to have zucchini. They are sooo good!
Thanks so much, Megan!
Love this yummy and unique recipe of Zucchini. Looks cheesy and flavorful and a perfect snack too.
Zucchini is one of my favorite side dishes to make and this one did not disappoint! It came out perfect and was great with grilled chicken.
Sounds great, thanks for sharing Sharon!
This recipe is so simple but so delicious. It's a great side dish for almost everything, too. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Colleen!
This is one of my favorite side dishes! They really easy to make, and the Parmesan adds the best flavor. Delicious recipe!