Learn how to make your own homemade Mayonnaise From Scratch. It takes just a couple of ingredients and less than 10 minutes!
Since starting our From Scratch cooking journey we've been so pleasantly surprised at how simple so many everyday products are! Homemade Mayonnaise From Scratch was one that surprised us because it's so easy to make!
The best part - you probably have all of the ingredients you need for mayonnaise from scratch in your pantry already!
- Vegetable Oil - Or another neutral flavored oil.
- Red Wine Vinegar - You could also use white wine vinegar, too if that's all you have.
- Dijon Mustard - Have you made your own yet??
- Egg Yolks - Just the yolk. Keep those whites to make some Meringue Kisses, Boo-Ringues, or use it to Clarify Homemade Chicken Stock.
- Kosher Salt
This homemade mayonnaise recipe is incredibly easy and comes together in minutes with the help of a food processor.
- Add everything but the oil in a food processor and give a quick pulse.
- Add oil super slowly, just a drop at a time, and then very very slowly while it's all blending.
- And done!
Easy, right?? Now when anyone asks how to make homemade mayonnaise, you can tell them how incredibly easy it is!
The biggest thing is making sure to add the oil slowly while the food processor is running. Like super slow. First, if you can, just a drop at a time. Then a super slow small stream, then a steadier stream until it's all incorporated. This is the process of emulsion - the blending of two otherwise 'unblendable' liquids: Oil and Vinegar. The egg yolk acts as the emulsifier, the binder that keeps the two liquids together and prevents them from separating. Yay, Science!
Keep it stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Yes, you need to make sure that it emulsifies. Plus it'll make it nice 'n creamy.
Not all is lost! Just add another yolk to the mix and that will will help to re-emulsify the sauce and bring it back to creamy.
So simple. So easy. And SO much better tasting than what you get in a jar. Mayonnaise from Scratch, it's one of the easiest condiments to make at home, from scratch.
Put it to Use
Here are our favorite recipes that use the fresh mayonnaise!
- Avocado Tuna Salad Sub
- Spinach Tuna Melt
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Baked Panko Chicken Tenders
- Dill Onion Dip From Scratch
- Asian Sesame Ginger Slaw
Other Condiments to Try
Now that you've dipped your toe in the from scratch condiment pond, are you ready to jump in? Here are some other super easy to make classic condiments!
- 5 Minute Homemade Ketchup
- Dijon Mustard From Scratch
- Enchilada Sauce From Scratch
- Alton Brown's Peanut Butter
- Tahini From Scratch
- Fry Sauce From Scratch
Mayonnaise from Scratch
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable oil peanut oil could also be used
- Kosher salt
- Put egg yolks, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard in food processor.
- Turn on low and then slowly drip a drop at a time the oil in while blending until it takes on the consistency of mayo. Then slowly add a stream of the oil while blending until it all is incorporated.
- Transfer to mason jar and refrigerate immediately.
- The time that the mayo will last depends on the freshness of your eggs. For standard store bought eggs, at least a week - two weeks. Farm fresh eggs may allow it to last longer.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!