This Asian Sesame Ginger Slaw isn't your average slaw! It's heartier due to the addition of quinoa, but also mayo free and lighter with a delicious sesame ginger dressing!
How is it the end of August already? Didn't summer just start? I feel like I say this every year and that I was just complaining about the heat and dreaming of cooler weather. Ha. Well, we're cramming in as much summer fun as we can while it lasts with not just one but two outdoor weddings to go to still and we have BBQs on our calendar until Sept. 30th. That means that I plan to have all of my favorite summer salads on rotation for another month! Our Arugula Watermelon Mint Salad, German Dill Potato Salad, Grilled Corn and Pepper Salad, Avocado Pasta Salad, and now this Asian Sesame Ginger Slaw!
We had some leftover red and green cabbage from our newest taco obsession: Sweet Sriracha Chicken Tacos. So I'm looking at these two heads of cabbage still in my fridge and I knew I wanted to make a slaw. But I wanted it to be something different. Something sans mayonnaise. Then I remembered the sesame ginger vinaigrette from our Teriyaki Shrimp Salad with Sesame Ginger Vinaigrette and realized that would be the perfect dressing. But I also wanted to add a little heartiness so I cooked up some quinoa and toasted up some cashews. Shredded cabbage and carrots and everything else tossed in a bowl with that killer dressing, and voila!
I love this slaw. It's healthy and hearty but also light. Plus the added deliciousness of toasted cashews make this not your average slaw. Plus our 2 year old loved it and I knew she was getting sooo much nutritional value from it with the quinoa, sesame seeds, and protein from the cashews! That definitely makes it a winner in our house. You can be pretty certain that it'll be unique on a BBQ or cookout table which is another plus for me. 'Cause bringing the same side to a BBQ as someone else is like showing up wearing the same dress as someone else, am I right? The horror! 😉
So go out there and soak up the rest of the summer, friends! Pack your September with as many BBQs and outdoor activities as you can! I'm fortunate enough to be on maternity leave through the end of October and I have (another!) little dream baby who is incredibly laid back and portable, so now that the air quality in Portland has improved, we've added even more to our calendar for the coming weeks!
Asian Sesame Ginger Slaw
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons green onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup water (for cooking quinoa)
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, toasted white are ok, black are a little more flavorful
- 1/3 cup whole cashews, toasted and then chopped
Sesame Ginger Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Combine quinoa and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off, leave the lid on and allow the quinoa to sit on the burner for a further 5-7 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a small saute pan to medium and add sesame seeds and toast for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- While pan is still hot, add cashews and toast for 1-2 minutes, stirring often to be sure they do not burn. Remove from pan, set aside to cool, then chop.
- Meanwhile while quinoa is finishing, in a small bowl mix together dressing ingredients and add cabbage, carrots, cilantro, green onions, black sesame seeds, and cashews
- In a large bowl, add cabbage, carrots, cilantro, green onions, quinoa, black sesame seeds, and cashews and mix.
- Serve and enjoy or cool in fridge until ready to serve. Can be prepared the night before in advance.