Kick up your Tuna Salad by adding Avocado, cilantro, and using homemade from Scratch Mayo for this Avocado Tuna Salad Sub!
I loved tuna as a kid. Loved. I think I can honestly say that I ate more tuna salad sandwiches than peanut butter sandwiches. Weird, I know. But I was also that kid who never ate PB & J’s because I refused to eat jelly… I know, I was a strange child. But let me just say, this tuna salad is not the tuna salad of my childhood. It has avocados and cilantro both of which I had no idea existed when I was a kid!But, it’s nearly as easy as that simple mayo (and celery if my mom was feelin’ crazy), tuna salad of my youth. Everything just goes into a bowl, (including a couple of tablespoons of some fresh, from scratch Mayo!)and then just a good mash and mix with a fork……and done!Slap it in between your favorite baguette or hoagie roll and you’re in business. I had just made some Vietnamese Baguettes for my most favorite from scratch sandwich in the world, Grilled Chicken Banh Mi, and so what we had left we used for this Avocado Tuna Salad, and it was delightful. Hearty but healthy and how can you go wrong with a Tuna salad with from scratch mayo and fresh avocados? You can’t my friend, you just cant. Enjoy!
Avocado Tuna Salad
- 2 cans of tuna - drained
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 a very small red onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 tablespoons Mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of of cilantro chopped
- Your favorite bread
- Add Tuna, onion, 1/2 the avocado, celery, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cilantro, and mayo to one medium sized bowl.
- With a fork, mash the avocado and tuna while mixing all ingredients together.
- Add the other half of avocado and mix, but don't mash so that pieces of avocado remain intact.
- Add Tuna Salad to your favorite bread and enjoy!