Who doesn’t love these buttery, crunchy, salty crackers? Making your Ritz Crackers from scratch is a lot simpler than you’d think!
You know that iconic red box wit the brown sleeves of buttery, crunchy cracker? Of course you do. Who hasn’t had an appetizer or snack with a Ritz cracker as the base? Ritz peanut butter sandwiches, Ritz and cheese, Ritz and tuna salad… the list goes on and on of what I used to eat Ritz with as a kid. Now, as an adult, let me introduce you to Ritz Crackers From Scratch!And the best part? I’m pretty sure you’ll have all of the ingredients you’ll need already in your pantry.Ok actually this is the best part. The dough is made in the food processor.
Then the dough is rolled out out super thin, and cut into little circle rounds. Or whatever shape you want! I used this ravioli stamp Eppicotispai Aluminum Round Ravioli Stamp with Beechwood Handle, 3-Inch, which was the perfect size.
Then a quick poke of each of the rounds, and onto parchment paper lined baking sheets and brushed with salted melted butter or an egg wash. I tried both to see which gave the best golden Ritz color. One wasn’t better than another, but I’m always partial to a little egg wash. Popped into the oven for 10 minutes and boom. Ritz Crackers!
So they’re not as golden brown as your classic Ritz, but let me tell you, that’s the only thing that is not completely Ritz like about these little guys. Otherwise, they are right on point, much to my husbands surprise and delight!We stored them in a sealed plastic bag and now we have From Scratch Ritz Crackers whenever we want a lil’ “Ritz” Snack! Which makes this preggo super happy! 😀
Ritz Crackers From Scratch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp + another 1/2 tsp salt for topping
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg - beaten optional for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add flour, baking powder, sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt to the food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add cold butter a few small pats at a time, and pulse to combine then, with food processor running, add vegetable oil slowly.
- Add water a little bit at a time while pulsing. The dough should start to form a ball.
- On a floured surface, split the dough in half and roll dough out as thin as you can, adding more flour if needed when it sticks.
- Use cookie cutters / ravioli stamp to cut the dough out and add cut outs to baking sheets. Continue to roll out dough and cut out crackers until all the dough is used up.
- Poke holes in each of the crackers, 2 across top, 3 across the middle, and 2 across the bottom.
- Brush the cracker cut outs with the egg wash and sprinkle with a flaky sea salt.*
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes in the center rack.
- Cool and enjoy!