Make your own homemade, easier than you think, Wheat Thins From Scratch with just 6 simple ingredients!
Who else loves to snack? Sometimes, I’d rather just eat a variety of different appetizers for dinner rather than a main dish. Which is why homemade crackers and chips are some of my favorite things to make because they’re delicious little vessels to promote snacking! Wheat Thins have been one of my favorite snack crackers since I was a kid and they’re actually surprisingly easy to make!Just 6 simple ingredients, that’s all you need.The dry ingredients are first tossed in a food processor and given a pulse, then the butter, and while blending, just add the water until a doughy ball begins to form. Start with a 1/4 cup of water and add a little more at a time while a dough forms.Then it’s just rolling out bits of the dough super thin (the thinner the better – you’ll get a nicer crunch on the cracker), and piercing the individual crackers with a fork.Add these little guys on parchment lined baking sheets with a final sprinkle of salt and bake ’em at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until the edges begin to brown.When they’re done, you have delicious crispy, salty, Wheat Thins from scratch!Happy snacking, friends!
- 2 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt, plus more for final dusting
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (I usually do a scant 1/2 teaspoon)
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut in to tablespoon pads
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cold water
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, salt, and paprika and pulse once.
- Add the tabbed butter and blend then scrape down the sides. adding the water slowly, 1/4 cup at a time, while blending until a dough forms.
- On a clean floured (if necessary, my dough is usually butter filled enough to not need added flour) surface, roll out small batches of the dough at time, as thin as you can. Cut out 1 1/2 - 2" squares and then poke with a fork.
- Using a baking spatula, transfer the squares to the parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 5-7 minutes keeping an eye on them because if you've gotten them nice and thin, they'll cook nice and fast!
- Remove from oven when edges begin to brown slightly and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Crackers will last in an air tight container at room temperature for a week or two, or will freeze up to two months.