Take your homemade chicken salad to the next level with tart green apples, crunchy fennel, and buttery walnuts. This Apple Fennel Chicken Salad is one of our new lunch favorites, especially on some of our homemade bread!
Friends, meet our new favorite lunch. Favorite lunch, friends. This homemade chicken salad has been on my mind since I saw some fresh fennel in the market. Especially since we realized a really good chicken salad has been seriously vacant from our lives as of late.
Even better, this homemade chicken salad is one that's unlike most we've ever had, thanks to the fresh apple and fennel - and the added anise from the fennel fronds, too! It's creamy and dreamy but bright, with a touch of sweetness from the apple and buttery crunch from the walnuts!
As with all of the recipes here at SFS, we're high on whole foods and low on processed.
- Chicken Breasts - This is our preferred chicken for a chicken salad, but some dark meat from some thighs can also add a delicious touch.
- Fennel - This is one of my absolute favorite vegetables that I do not cook with enough! Raw, it's crisp, crunchy, and adds a very delicate anise flavor.
- Apple - Green apple is the apple for this recipe for it's crisp tart, flavor.
- Mayonnaise - Absolutely key to a chicken salad, and making your own Mayonnaise from scratch takes this to another level.
- Walnuts - For the perfect buttery crunch.
- Green Onions, Parsley and Fennel Fronds - To bring some freshness to the party.
- Lemon Juice - Just enough to add the right amount of citrus and acidity.
- Kosher Salt - Duh.
Easy to Make
A homemade chicken salad is one of the easiest things you can make, because not only does it come together super fast, but it's also a great way to use up some leftover baked chicken.
But trust me, this recipe is also worth cooking some chicken especially for.
Step 1: Prep your apples, fennel, and herbs.
Step 2: Cook and cube the chicken - unless using leftover.
How do I Cook the Chicken?
Our preferred (and fastest) way is to poach the chicken. This means cooking it in boiling water (which is a great start for some homemade chicken stock!) for about 8-10 minutes. But always check to see if it's fully cooked to 165 degrees (the easiest is with a instant read thermometer).
You could also roast the chicken by coating the chicken in oil, salt and pepper, adding a little water to the pan, and then roasting for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Step 3: Add it all to a bowl and give it a good mix.
Now you're ready. Ready to be put between your favorite bread or even with a spoon (spoiler, this is how we often eat it - with a spoon).
Other Sides to Serve With
- Kale Chips
- Cheddar Sour Cream Potato Chips
- Pita Chips
- Tortilla Chips
- Sun-Dried Tomato Cashew Kale Chips
Truly, this soft, chewy bread is absolutely perfect for this creamy, crunchy, tart, homemade chicken salad!
Other Favorite Sandwiches
Apple Fennel Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast raw or pre-cooked
- 1/2 cup granny smith apple matchstick
- 1/3 cup fennel chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or up to 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon fennel fronds minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3-4 green onions sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 10 slices Easy White Sandwich Bread
- Bring a large stock pot with water to a boil. Add chicken and poach until chicken is fully cooked or it's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Cube cooked chicken. Add to a large bowl with remaining ingredients.
- Mix well. Add more mayonnaise for desired creaminess and salt for taste.
- Serve between your favorite sandwich bread and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!