Homemade Tahini from Scratch can be made in less than 15 minutes and with only 2 ingredients! Plus, it's so much more affordable than store-bought!
The very first condiment that we made from scratch here at Served From Scratch is also one of the easiest! Tahini From Scratch was our gateway to condiments from scratch and we haven't looked back since!
Does it get much easier than just 2 ingredients?! For the oil, we use olive oil but you can also use any other neutral flavored oil like vegetable oil.
How to Make Tahini
Step 1: The first thing is you need to do to make homemade tahini is to lightly toast the sesame seeds. This is the longest part of the whole process but also the most important. Be sure to watch them so they don't burn!
Step 2: Add those seeds into a food processor or blender and blend it all until you have a nice smooth paste. Scrape down the sides as you go to make sure that it all blends well.
Once it's smooth enough to your liking, add that to a jar and you have your own, homemade Tahini From Scratch! Now it's ready for some Sundried Tomato Hummus or Grilled Romaine with Lemon Tahini Dressing!
Other Favorite Condiments
- 5 Minute Homemade Ketchup
- Homemade Hoisin Sauce
- Dijon Mustard From Scratch
- Enchilada Sauce From Scratch
- No Cook Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Mayonnaise From Scratch
So get your from scratch condiment making on, friends and take one more jar off of your grocery list with Homemade Tahini!
If your grocer has a bulk food section, you should be able to find raw sesame seeds there. You can of course always buy them on Amazon here.
Hulled sesame seeds mean that the hull or seed coat has been removed. Un-hulled means that it has not. Either will work fine for this recipe, it doesn't alter the taste, but using hulled seeds does make a creamier textured tahini. Un-hulled seeds do have a slightly higher calcium content though.
Tahini from Scratch
- 2 cup of hulled or un-hulled raw sesame seed
- 1/2 cup of olive oil, divided 8 tablespoons
- Toast 1 cup of seeds at a time in pan on low heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir continuously for 10 min.
- Transfer seeds into food processor. Add remaining olive oil (6 tablespoons) and blend, adding a tablespoon or two at first then the rest it as it's blending. Scrape down sides and continue blending until it is a smooth paste.
- Transfer to jar and store in fridge for 1 month.