Make your own Sun Dried Tomato Hummus from Scratch for a healthy creamy dreamy snack!
I love snacking. I would so much rather eat a ton of delicious appetizers all night than one big meal. Committing to a whole plate / dish is just way too limiting, am I right? Which is why I love snacks from scratch, especially ones like this hummus.
I could eat hummus every day with any kind of raw vegetable, cracker, chip, or baguette slice you throw at me. Even better, there are so many varieties of hummus! And once we started making our own Tahini from scratch, it’s just taken our hummus to the next level. This hummus though, no tahini required. Why? Because I didn’t have any made. Or any sesame seeds to make some because making tahini is soooo fast and easy! So I used sesame oil instead, which was just as delicious. That with plenty of garlic and some of our home grown sun dried tomatoes from scratch and with or without tahini, we had ourselves hummus. Also, I find to get the creamiest of creamy hummus, using the all-knowing Alton Brown’s method of slow cooking the chickpeas, is the best. We brought this uber creamy, delicious, from scratch hummus to a lovely leisurely Saturday afternoon lunch with our favorite vegans. It made a delicious appetizers with some fresh carrots and homemade baguette slices.
It would also be super tasty with some vegan friendly spelt crackers! Or for the future non-vegan football parties in your life, serve them with some From Scratch Ritz Crackers, Pita Chips, or tortilla chips!
Sun Dried Tomato Hummus
- Food Processor
- 1.5 cups of slow cooked cooked chickpeas or 1 16 oz can*
- 1/4 cup of packed sun dried tomatoes packed in oil removed from oil + 1-2 tablespoons chopped for garnish
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 lemon juiced about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of water
- Add all ingredients except oil and sun dried tomatoes for garnish to food processor and blend. While blending, slowly add the oil.
- Blend until creamy, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Serve with raw veggies, crackers, or chips!