Ditch the can, because it's easy to make your own! This Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe makes making your own classic cream soup from scratch at home so easy with just a few simple ingredients!
Cream of Mushroom Soup, it's a staple in your cupboard, right? Especially this time of the year. Because how else could you make a classic, comfortingly creamy casserole? But have you ever really looked at the ingredients of a can of good ol' Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup? It's not great. No biggie, I've got your back with this easy and >dare I say< WAY more delicious Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch!
Ok, I know, I know. Opening a can of good ol' Campbell's is soooo easy. But trust me. The added effort (and really, it's not that much extra effort) is sooo worth it. The flavor of this soup is so rich and savory and your have the added benefit of knowing exactly what's in it.
- Mushrooms - We prefer cremini but button would also be great!
- Half and Half
- Flour - All purpose is best, but you could also use a gluten free flour. I'd stay away from almond or coconut, though.
- Salted Butter - You could use unsalted butter if that is all you have, but that just means add a little more salt (1/4 teaspoon for every 1/2 cup of butter).
- Fresh Sage - Fresh is really key. We've made this with dried and it's just not the same.
- Kosher Salt
- Chicken Stock - Not pictured, but key! To keep it vegetarian, you could also use Vegetable Stock.
The key to this Cream of Mushroom soup recipe? Fresh mushrooms. And a lot of them.
Step 1: Slice the mushrooms.
Step 2: Saute Mushrooms in butter.
Step 3: In a deep saute pan, create a roux by melting butter and adding flour.
Step 4: Add the milk and cream to the roux and create a creamy base by letting it cook down for about 30 minutes.
Step 5: Add mushrooms to the soup and then add chicken stock and mix well.
Step 6: Remove from heat and either serve immediately or let it cool before storing in the fridge if you're not going to use it immediately in your favorite casserole dish!
Favorite Recipes to Use With
Just in time for those holiday casseroles and for bragging rights with your family!
Cream of Mushroom Soup From Scratch
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms - cleaned and sliced halved if large
- 4 + 2 tablespoon of salted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock, room temp or warm
- 6 leaves sage julianned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper to taste
- Create a roux by melting 4 tablespoons of butter on medium low in a medium sized pot. Add flour slowly, stirring constantly to create a roux.
- Once all of the flour and butter is mixed together and lightly browned, slowly add cream and milk, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, and sage.
- Reduce heat a little and let it all simmer and reduce for at least 30 minutes or until it's reached desired thickness.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan with melt the other 2 tablespoons of butter on medium heat and add the mushrooms. Sauté until almost all the moisture is cooked off.
- Add soup to the mushrooms in sauté pan and mix well. Slowly add chicken stock and mix well until combined. Continue to cook and reduce for another 10-15 minutes until desired thickness is reached.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer to jars to store in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Yields approximately 4-5 cups.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!