Our White Bean Kale Potato Soup is absolutely packed full of nutrition! This kale soup recipe with white beans and potatoes is a gluten-free vegan soup that is hearty, healthy, and delicious!
Bring on all of the soup season soups! Kale soup recipes are some of our favorites and when you add potato and white beans, it makes it a well-rounded nutrition-packed meal! Our White Bean Kale Potato Soup has it all, but no gluten and just so happens to be vegan, making it allergy-friendly AND delicious! It's a great healthy soup to add in with all of the upcoming holiday baking and treats!
- White Beans - We love cannellini beans for this soup, but you can use your favorite!
- Kale - This is one of our favorite hearty greens to add to a soup! Curly kale, dinosaur kale, use whichever you prefer. We love this soup with both. You can also switch it out for some spinach, too!
- Olive Oil, Carrots, Onions, Celery, and Garlic - The aromatics and fat, key start to any soup!
- Potatoes - For this soup, Yukon Gold potatoes are our favorite because they're slightly buttery and sweet in flavor and because they hold their texture well. Plus, I love the color they add to this soup. But of course, you can use whichever you have!
- Diced Tomatoes - They add the right amount of acidity to the flavorful broth.
- Parmesan Cheese and Rind - The rind of the Parmesan cheese wedge is really key to adding some rich savory umami to this soup, and then a sprinkle of cheese to finish your soup in the bowl with which adds the perfect slightly nutty salty finish!
- Salt, Pepper, Parsley, and Bay Leaves - To add just the right of seasoning.
Incredibly Easy to Make
Key to a great soup during soup season? Ease! And that's what this kale potato soup is, easy and can be ready in just a few simple steps.
- Saute the aromatics in fat to help build a base of flavor.
- Add the tomatoes and spices to continue to build flavor.
- Add stock, beans, potatoes, and bay leaves then bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer to cook the potatoes.
- Add the kale in the final 5 minutes which will allow it just enough time to wilt and tenderize.
You can use your favorite Dutch oven or large stock pot. We absolutely love our 7 qt Finex Dutch Oven, you can have this soup ready and on the table in just about 40 minutes.
This White Bean Kale Potato Soup is as colorful as it is healthy and nutritious!
It may seem like a long time to cook the onions, celery, and carrots, but trust me, it's a key flavor-building step and will help boost the soup's overall flavor.
For the items that you are cooking at the same time (carrots, onion, and celery) and then the potatoes, you want each to be diced as evenly as possible so that you will have even cooking time on each.
While it's important to bring that heat up to a boil, you then will need to reduce the heat to a simmer and let the potatoes cook until they are tender. Keeping it a boil, you'll run a risk of overcooking your veggies.
Even and smaller, is key. If they are too large, they will take longer to cook.
This is such a key step to adding depth and umami flavor to this kale potato soup! You don't want to skip it and that means you'll want to be sure to buy a Parmesan cheese with a rind (some in the grocery store don't have them).
Finish with some grated Parmesan cheese, and you have a healthy vegetarian soup that is hearty, gluten-free, and loaded with all the nutrition you need.
You Also Might Like
- Chickpea Kale Curry Soup
- Healthy Leek and Potato Soup
- Leftover Turkey and Spinach Noodle Soup
- Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup
- White Bean Leftover Turkey Chili
- Rhode Island Clam Chowder
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
White Bean Kale Potato Soup
- Large Stock Pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sage dried
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned or fresh
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs poatotes
- 14 oz white beans rinsed
- 1 lb kale trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese to finish
- rind of parmesan cheese
- Saute Veggies: In a large stock pot, heat olive oil to medium. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and saute for 8 minutes. Add parsley, salt, sage, and diced tomatoes, mix well, and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add Stock: Add stock, bay leaves, and potatoes. Turn the heat to high and bring it all to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add Kale: Turn the heat down to medium and add beans, kale, and the parmesan rind to simmer for another 7 minutes.
- Serve: Serve and top with shredded Parmesan cheese and enjoy!