This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is a creamy and delicious squash soup that's made with simple, healthy, flavorful ingredients and is gluten-free and vegan.
Creamy, healthy, simple, and delicious! This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is an incredibly easy-to-make roasted squash soup that's nutritious and hearty enough for a healthy, meal!
Thanks to the roasting of the butternut squash, very few ingredients are needed to really bring out the delicious sweet and natural flavors of the butternut squash, make this soup both gluten-free and vegan!
- Butternut Squash - A 2 lb squash is perfect.
- Onion - We prefer white onion for this recipe, but yellow would also be great.
- Garlic - A few cloves tossed into the roasting pan, too!
- Fresh Thyme - Fresh is best because it's just added to the roasting pan but then removed before blending.
- Olive Oil - Just a little for roasting.
- Homemade Stock - Vegetable is our preferred to keep this recipe vegan, but you could of course use Chicken, too.
- Salt and Pepper
Simple ingredients for this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, but still so much flavor, especially if you have a super flavorful homemade stock.
Easy to Make
What makes this soup so flavorful with so few ingredients is roasting the butternut squash with onion, garlic, and seasonings. It brings out the rich sweetness of the squash, complimented by the onion and garlic and savory thyme.
This is a great hands-off soup because once you have all of your veggies prepped and tossed in the pan, it's left to roast for an hour, and you can go back about your life while all those delicious roasted flavors develop in the oven.
Our Other Comforting Soups
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- large glass baking dish
- Soup Pot
- 2 lb butternut squash peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 4 Cups vegetable stock divided
- 1 large white onion
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 large bunch of fresh thyme 7-8 sprigs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large glass baking dish, add squash, onion, garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then pour in 1 cup of stock. Top with fresh thyme.
- Bake for 1 hr.
- Remove glass dish from oven and remove and discard thyme. Add squash, garlic, onion, and any liquid from baking dish into a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add the remaining 3 cups of stock and heat over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion or a blender (in batches) purée all ingredients until creamy.
- Serve with buttered bread and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!