Perfect for fall, this newly updated Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch is cheesy, creamy, and dreamy but without any store-bought canned goods. Instead, it's packed full of fresh broccoli and cheese!
Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl full of creamy, cheesy soup? Definitely not. Even better is when it only takes a couple of minutes to throw together like this Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch!
My mom is visiting from New Hampshire this week and since I need to still work, I want to make sure that dinner mostly done and easy for maximum time to visit. Crock Pot to the rescue!
Fresh ingredients and as much from scratch as possible, pretty standard for recipes made in our house.
- Cheese - We prefer sharp cheddar for this but you could also use a milk cheddar. Or even a white cheddar or extra sharp.
- Broccoli - We prefer fresh, but you could definitely sub frozen florets, too. No need to thaw, just toss 'em right in.
- Fresh Carrot, Onion, and Garlic - For added flavor. We use white onions, but yellow would also be great.
- Chicken Stock - Or Vegetable Stock if you want to keep it vegetarian friendly. Either works great. Have you made your own Chicken Stock From Scratch or Vegetable Stock From Scratch, yet?
- Butter, Milk, and Flour - To create a roux for the cheese sauce.
- Seasoning - Salt, pepper, and celery salt.
As with a lot of our Crock Pot meals, this one is easy!
Step 1: Add all of the broccoli, onion, carrots, garlic, and seasonings to your trusty Crock Pot with the stock, and slow cook!
Step 3: On the stovetop, make a roux and thick cheese sauce. This is the crucial step of making a creamy cheese soup that ensures that the cheese is well incorporated into the whole soup.
In an effort to save dishes and effort, we've tried adding the cheese directly to the blended soup, but it just isn't the same for ensuring creaminess.
Step 4: Once you have that well blended, thick cheese sauce, add it to your blended broccoli cheese soup.
We do like to add just a little extra shredded cheese, too! Just for good measure. Because is there anything wrong with just a little added cheese. Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch!
A little more cheese (because again, why not) and then a touch of parsley, served with fresh homemade bread, and you have an easy dinner that's perfect for a busy weeknight. Especially when you want to be able to maximize Grandma's snuggle and book reading time.
Other Favorite Fall Soups
Serve it With
Crock Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup From Scratch
- 1 1/2 lb fresh broccoli cut into florets about 5 cups, or 13 oz of florets
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup milk 2% - half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- fresh parsley garnish
- Add broccoli, onion, carrot, garlic, salt, pepper, celery salt, and chicken stock to a Crock Pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hrs or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once done, use an immersion blender, blender, or Vitamix and blend soup until creamy. Return to Crock Pot on low.
- In a small sauce pan on stovetop, heat butter over medium and sprinkle on flour. Whisk as butter melts to create a roux. Once all the butter is melted and flour incorporated, slowly add milk and whisk. Slowly add shredded cheese and whisk until well combined into a thick cheese sauce. Reserve 1/4-1/2 cup of cheese.
- Add cheese sauce to soup and give a gentle mix. Add some of the reserved cheese and give another mix.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and some shredded cheese.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!