This Creamy Asparagus Bacon Soup is incredibly flavorful that's easy to make, rich, and perfectly marries asparagus and smoky bacon!
Happy New Year, friends! Are you working on some New Years Resolutions to eat a little healthier? Soups are a great way to eat healthy, filling meals. This Creamy Asparagus Bacon Soup is one of our latest and greatest creations! It's creamy, dreamy, with all the flavor of asparagus but also with smoky, salty delicious bacon flavor.
Fresh and easy, as usual around here.
- Asparagus - Fresh is best, of course, but frozen would also work great.
- Bacon - Your favorite cut.
- Shallots and Garlic - You could also use a little white or yellow onion if you don't have shallots.
- Chicken Stock - You could also use vegetable stock.
- Heavy Cream - This adds some creaminess to the soup.
- Celery Salt - This is one of my favorites in the spice drawer - especially to add to soups!
- Olive Oil, Salt, and Pepper
- Sour Cream - Optional to finish the soup with.
You could also make this a Vegetarian Creamy Asparagus Soup by omitting the bacon entirely, by using butter instead of bacon grease, and vegetable stock. It still makes it a delicious creamy soup, juts without the smoky bacon flavor.
Even though this soup looks fancy, it is actually quite easy to make!
Step 1: Saute garlic and shallots.
Step 2: Add asparagus.
After a few minutes, take out a few of the asparagus tops and set them aside with some cooked, crumbled bacon. Totally optional, but they're so pretty to top your bowls with!
Step 3: Add stock and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Step 4: Then puree with an immersion blender, blender, or Vitamix.
Step 5: Return it to your Dutch oven or stock pot to heat back up and add the cream.
Then you're ready to plate and serve!
Add some additional heavy cream, crumbled bacon, and the asparagus you set aside.
Tip: We also love this with a little extra swirl of cream on top, or a dollop of sour cream mixed in!
Hello, gorgeous. This soup is a dream. A creamy dreamy one.
Yummmmmm. Creamy, dreamy, and hearty! Serve it with our Easy Crusty French Baguette!
Our Other Favorite Soups
Creamy Asparagus Bacon Soup
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled reserve some of the bacon grease
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus, cut into 1 - 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup cream
- dollop Sour Cream
- In a medium sized sauté pan, cook bacon until crispy. Set a tablespoon of grease aside. Meanwhile, prep asparagus, garlic, and shallots.
- Add bacon grease and olive oil to dutch oven or large pot and heat to medium. Add garlic and shallot and cook about 1 minute. Be careful to not burn.
- Add asparagus, salt, and pepper, Stir and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove a few pieces of asparagus tops to set aside.
- Add stock and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Puree soup by either using an immersion blender or using a blender or Vitamix. (If using a blender, you will need to go in batches)
- Return to pot on medium heat and add cream.
- Heat until it starts to simmer again. Mix well and now it's ready to serve.
- Serve with a swirl of sour cream or mix in a dollop of sour cream (or both!) and top with crumbled bacon and asparagus spear tops.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!