No need for a can full of preservatives. Make your OWN Condensed Cream of Celery Soup From Scratch with fresh, whole ingredients – and it’s dairy free!
It’s a mouthful, but say it with me: Condensed Cream of Celery Soup From Scratch. Did you hear that? That’s right. From. Scratch. Oh and it’s dairy free! This is just like a few cans (3-4) of the canned cream of celery soup. Just like how you’d use it for a crock pot recipe… hint hint to what we’ll be using this for! 😉
Hold on while I put that old broken record back on so you can hear about how crazy busy our lives are around here. Between a new job, (that’s amazing in an oh-my-god-this-is-hard-but-perfect-for-me kind of a way), plus our walkin’ talkin’ and new little attitudin’ Miss, and lots fun planned in between, we don’t have time for super labor intensive recipes like we used to. Which is why I’m so excited about this one.
As it is with most all of the recipes I share here, it’s easy. Surprisingly easy. Like I-only-have-30 minutes-before-we-need-to-rush-out-of the-house kind of easy.
And like just-chop-up-your-veggies-add-them-to-a-dutch-oven-with-some-butter-flour-and-chicken-stock, kind of easy.
And finally like just-cook-down-the-celery-and-give-it-a-quick-blend kind of easy! Have I made my point yet? And as far as the blending, you can do that in either a blender, food processor or with an immersion blender. Whatever you have. Unless you have a not so good food processor that’s not meant for liquids, then don’t use that… that’ll be a mess. But also the blending isn’t necessary, but it is what gives it the nice creamy texture – again without having to add any milk!
Seriously, so easy. Just a little more effort than opening a can, but then the trade off of freshness and knowing exactly what’s in your Condensed Cream of Celery Soup From Scratch (especially when you make your own chicken stock, too!) – now that’s completely worth the little extra effort in my book.
Two traditionally canned soup ‘staples’, especially for Crock Pot season, that you can now make from scratch! Stay tuned for all the delicious (and easy) recipes we’ll be making with them this fall / winter! 😀
- 1 bunch celery - diced small (approximately 4 cups)
- 1/2 large white onion - diced small (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a dutch oven or a large shallow pot melt butter over medium heat and add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and celery for about 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and the celery is soft.
- Add flour, mix well and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock. stir, and turn up heat to bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor blend until mostly creamy.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to 3 days, freezer for a month, or pressure can.
- *Make your own chicken stock! http://www.servedfromscratch.com/more-chicken-stock/