No can needed. Make your own Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup from scratch in just 10 minutes!
Happy November, friends! It's the start of the holiday cooking / baking season! And what's a staple in a lot of those comforting casserole classics? That's right, that good ol' Campbell's can of condensed cream of soup. Those cans used to be staples in my pantry growing up. But recently we realized just how easy it is to make them from scratch! Especially this Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup which can be whipped up in just 10 minutes! Game. Changgeerrrr.
Did you all hear that? Let me say it again for the people in the back. 10. Stinkin'. MINUTES. Ok, that's only like 9.5 minutes longer than opening a can. Can you spare 9.5 extra minutes to have a from scratch cream of chicken soup? I bet you can!
Even better? It's made up of ingredients you probably already have!
- Flour - All purpose flour is the best for this.
- Chicken Stock - Have you made your own, yet?
- Milk - 2% is what we use, but you could also use whole. 1% is a little thin for this, but it would also work.
- Poultry Seasoning - This is where the chicken flavor comes from, without the chicken.
- Herbs - Onion powder, dried parsley, garlic powder. You could also use fresh parsley (see recipe notes), but powdered onion and garlic is really best for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper
Have I mentioned how easy this is? It's My-Toddler-Could-Help-Me-Make-It, kind of easy!
Step 1: Heat chicken stock and some milk on the stove.
Step 2: Mix all of the dry ingredients with rest of the milk.
Step 3: Add the milk and dry ingredients to the stock and milk on the stove and let simmer.
Tip: Be sure to whisk the flour and milk well to prevent lumps.
That's it. That's all it takes to make Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup from scratch and free of the modified food starch and whey protein concentrate on the ingredient list of the cans.
Whip up a batch in advance for those holiday casseroles!
Now our Homemade Condensed Soup list is complete!
Even better, this made our Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing From Scratch, truly from scratch!
Honestly, it does not get any easier than this. Simple ingredients. Easy steps. 10 Minutes. You're welcome.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 3/4 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk first with the chicken stock to a medium sauce pan and bring to a low boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour and the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add milk mixture to the sauce pan and lower heat to a simmer, stirring constantly as the soup thickens. About 5 minutes. It will thicken as it cools.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Did you like this recipe? Sign up to get new recipes weekly!