No need for a box. With just some stale bread and a few spices and you can make your own Copycat Boxed Stuffing Mix From Scratch!
In honor of Turkey Day coming this week (um how did that happen?!) I have this goodie for you guys. Ahh the good ol’ box stuffing mix made on the stove. You all know the classic red box I’m talking about. Staple in our house growing up. Stuffing made in minutes – what could be better? Well, how about a stuffing mix that can be made in advance so you can still have stuffing in just minutes- but from scratch?! Guys… I know. This Copycat Boxed Stuffing Mix From Scratch has just changed my stuffing world because it has all the same convenience with all of the homemade love.
- Stale bread – A simple white bread works best for this recipe. If it has something you wouldn’t want in your stuffing (like nuts or seeds) then I wouldn’t use it.
- Dried herbs – parsley, sage, thyme, oregano.
- Dried minced onion – do you have a dehydrator? You can totally make your own like we do for our own onion soup mix!
- Dried celery flakes – This can be a hard one to find in your local grocery store, so we buy ours on Amazon.
It’s almost as easy as opening a box!
Step 1: Cube stale bread
Step 2: Add herbs and seasonings and mix well.
Now you have the equivalent of two of those red boxes! Store it in an airtight container in the pantry for a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months!
To Make the Stuffing
It’s just like making it from a box! Add broth or water, butter, and cook on the stove top and give it a nice fluff!
Make It A Meal!
Our favorite way to use this stuffing mix is in our Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing From Scratch (with our Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup). Or it makes a delicious side for some of our other favorites:
Or if it’s going to round out your Thanksgiving table, keep that From Scratch train going with your own Copycat French’s Fried Onions!
Happy Thanksgiving, friends! May your day be filled with lots of delicious food, loved ones, and hearts full of thanks. I’m sooo incredibly thankful for you all that come and read and share and ultimately encourage us to keep on keeping on with our Served From Scratch journey. Thank you! <3
Copycat Boxed Stuffing Mix From Scratch
- 6 cups cubed day stale bread make your own! https://www.servedfromscratch.com/no-knead-rosemary-garlic-bread/
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 5 tablespoons minced onion make your own! https://www.servedfromscratch.com/onion-soup-mix-from-scratch/
- 1/3 cup dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
To Make the Stuffing from the mix
- 1 1/4 cup water or broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread out cubed bread evenly on a large (or two if needed) baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes until dry.
- Meanwhile, in a plastic bag, mix all the dried seasoning.
- When cubed bread is done, add to either the bag or a bowl and mix well with all of the seasoning. Divide into two containers (ensuring seasoning is well distributed) and store in airtight container in pantry for 1 week or freezer for up to 6 months. Each container will be equivalent to two boxed stuffing boxes – 6 oz.
To Make Stuffing
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add one container of mix (about 3 cups) and stir well. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve. Salt as needed / desired.