Ditch the packet. Make your own Onion Soup Mix from scratch!
You know those onion soup mixes in a bag? They’re so convenient, aren’t they? Yea, I know… but you know what else I’ve just discovered? Onion Soup Mix From Scratch is almost just as easy thanks to a food dehydrator and a little bit of time!
add them to your handy dandy food dehydrator,
Once the onions are all nice and dried (I left mine in for 24 hrs mainly because I forgot about them, but they would probably do fine with just 12-18) a quick chop and viola! Homemade dried onion flakes. Don’t have a dehydrator? Not a problem- you can find dried onion flakes in the spice section of the grocery store, too. Then, it’s super easy. Just a mix of a bunch of spices you probably already have in the house: paprika, garlic powder, thyme, mustard powder, pepper, and salt.
And then you have your very own, from scratch, onion soup mix! Add water for a soup, sour cream for a dip, or use it in any other recipe that calls for onion soup mix. All from scratch and much cheaper than buying the pre-made packages. Stay tuned for the Crock Pot Chuck Roast I made with ours by following me via email!
- 1/4 cup dry onion flakes or your own dehydrated onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To Dehydrate Onions
- Slice 2 onions thin and line in dehydrator. Dehydrate at 145 degrees for at least 15 hours.
- When dried, chop.
For the Mix
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To use, stir into recipes as you would commercial onion soup mix (about 1 to 2 tablespoons per 1/2 cup sour cream for dip).